Kalwasswer max pH boost without being fully saturated

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

If you dose kalk that was not fully saturated could you get maximum pH boost still? Or do you need to fully saturated kalk in order to get the maximum effect of the pH boost with limewater

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

If you dose kalk that was not fully saturated could you get maximum pH boost still? Or do you need to fully saturated kalk in order to get the maximum effect of the pH boost with limewater
Fully saturated = more concentrated than not saturated... So it would follow that fully saturated will give a higher pH/alk boost than anything less concentrated, assuming you're adding the same amount of liquid.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH boost relates to how much hydroxide chemical is dosed, not the concentration of the fluid dosed.

Dosing tens times as much volume of a 1/10th as concentrated solution has the same pH effect, assuming it is added over the same period of time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy when pH gets too high like 8.5 and 8.6 what negative effects can be attributed to it?

Those values are t necessarily too high, but one effect that I am aware of is excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate on heaters, pumps, sand, etc.

Some types of macroalgae photosynthesize more poorly at higher pH due to reduced availability of CO2. That may impact some corals too, but many get it from bicarbonate indirectly.

Certainly it will reduce organism health at some elevated level, but I am not sure how high that is or whether we can actually attain it due to aeration reducing pH.

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy just to clarify I know saturated kalk is 2 teaspoons a gallon and the ph would be 12.4. If I were to use 1 teaspoon per gallon would the ph still be 12.4 or would it be lower? reason is I would like the ph boost but at the same time not raising my alk to much. by making the solution half concentrated wouldn’t that mean I would be able to dose more kalk without skyrocketing my alk? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy just to clarify I know saturated kalk is 2 teaspoons a gallon and the ph would be 12.4. If I were to use 1 teaspoon per gallon would the ph still be 12.4 or would it be lower? reason is I would like the ph boost but at the same time not raising my alk to much. by making the solution half concentrated wouldn’t that mean I would be able to dose more kalk without skyrocketing my alk? Thanks

pH drops about 0.3 pH units for each 50% drop in potency and 1 full pH unit for a factor of 10, but be sure you gauge that based on comparison to actual saturated kalkwasser (say, 2 tsp in a cup of ro/di), not based on a normal calibration that may not be accurate that high.

Conductivity is a better way to gauge potency, if that is the goal.

Finally, the pH of the dosing fluid is not a good gauge of the pH effect in the water. Potency is.

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you are saying that 1 teaspoon per gallon should have a ph around 12 just so that I am understanding you correctly I apologize I’m new to trying to understand all this chemistry stuff thanks again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back