Kalk and alkalinity

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello I wanted to ask if anyone or @Randy Holmes-Farley can let me know how much alkalinity is in fully saturated kalk.

Trying to figure out if I dose 1500 ml per day kalk how much is that in dkh am I adding per day over 24 hours.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
X

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey randy also with the article about using a top vs uncovered....i have an open sir or reservoir in my waterbox sump. Since it's uncovered and I use this reservoir on a kalk rx. There's a high chance to degrade the kalk due to introduction of co2 in open air. If I made a acrylic lid cover over the ro reservoir will this help reduce introduction of co2 and I crease longer potency per conductivity over a longer period of time?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey randy also with the article about using a top vs uncovered....i have an open sir or reservoir in my waterbox sump. Since it's uncovered and I use this reservoir on a kalk rx. There's a high chance to degrade the kalk due to introduction of co2 in open air. If I made a acrylic lid cover over the ro reservoir will this help reduce introduction of co2 and I crease longer potency per conductivity over a longer period of time?

Yes. Cover it and don’t stir it. I used a Brute trash can with lid and a cut out for tubing and wires.

OP
OP
X

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just wanted to clarify randy, the reservoir is just plain rodi water that I use to feed the kalk rx....so it won't be stirred because I run a dosing pump from the rodi reservoir to the icecap kalk rx. Will it matter if the rodi reservoir is covered vs uncovered? Ink own once kalk is mixed, closed container is best but if it's just straight rodi does it matter or not?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I meant not stir a reservoir of kalkwasser itself. You may be able to reduce CO2 into pure ro/di as well, but the driving force is less for CO2 entry and the reactor should be able to overcome it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back