KB’s new Red Sea Reefer 425xl

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,
I’m kinda new around here, been hanging in the background a few months, but I finally went and did it. After months of research and going back and forth, I finally purchased a Red Sea Reefer 425xl.

I have been out of the hobby for many years. I was very heavy into it in the 90’s and very early 2000’s. Everything from reefs to show size shark tanks, I loved this hobby. But, after a huge setback when my 220 gal shark tank blew out I moved my other tanks to my parents house. My mother and brother loved watching them even my dad got into it. But I was too far away to be there everyday and It was too hard for them and I ended up losing everything, my heart hasn’t been in it since. My mom aked me for years to set it back up (the empty 165gal than sat in her parlor for the next 10 + years) I just didn’t have the time, or patience, or money, or interest to go through it again. Even when my son was young, he would ask me to set one of my empty tanks up and I couldn’t. I tried once, and set up my 92 corner bow, but I did it half-done, and knew in the back of my head it wouldn’t stay viable. Again I got out, and it sat empty.

Well here it is many years later. I lost my mom last year and my brother moved home to try with my dad. Well he had enough, he was sick of staring at the empty tank and asked me to help him set it back up. I was not helpful.... at first. So he got some kid to help him at one of the local fish stores.
I happen to go over to see my dad one day and there it was, running..... sort of.

He was so happy to have it going, trouble is, the kid didn’t know what he was doing, didn’t clean it, didn’t set the lights up correctly, just dumped salt in with the old sand and rock, said here you go and left it for him thinking it would take care of itsetf. We’re talking salt levels of .040. Oh, and did I mention, loaded him up with a bunch of fish before the tank was cycled..... foxface, clowns, puffer, shrimp and snails.

I had no choice but to step in, begrudgingly, I took my brother to all the good local stores I had used in the past, introduced him to the right people to get advice from, found out what he really wanted to keep, and helped teach him how to get his parameters back in order, and get the right equipment.

Well something happened while we did all this over the weeks and weeks to get him on the right path of his new mixed reef.

We talked and re-bonded. We hadn’t been close in a long time. We enjoyed getting together almost daily and running to a fish store, or working on water changes, and seeing the differences.

I know my mother was working through this hobby and getting us back together. She always loved watching my fish swim around and feeding them. She loved my eels and sharks, and would sit for hours watching them. This was defiantly her doing.

So I took a chance, after speaking to my wife, who could really care less about fish or pets to be honest, I decided to buy a tank from a local store I trusted. But I wanted a “small one” cause I knew what bigger tanks took and I still wasn’t sure. But I made the decision that if I was going to do it, I was going all in and going to do it right with the right equipment.

He had an IM fusion 40 sitting on the counter running. It had a few polyps and a pair of clowns. And some mushrooms in it. Well I think I caught him off guard when I looked at him and said, how much for that? After some negotiations I had my tank, it was already cycled and going so I was good there and I knew if I didn’t like it, I could still sell most of it and get part of my money back.

Well, I did like it, and it grew, and grew, and grew, my brother and I would go to stores, for him then me, we are having a great time, and really loving this hobby again. I purchased all the right gear, and really set it up the way it should be. Once my lps corals started multiplying, I new I was ready.

Now after months of saving and preparing, I decided it was time to get a real tank going again. I didn’t want the 6 foot tank again, and to be honest, my house couldn’t fit it, and still allow me to enjoy it from my couch. So I went back and forth between th 425 and 525 from Red Sea. After seeing their tanks, it was definitely the way I wanted to go. I didn’t want another corner overflow, and the all in one didn’t leave enough room for equipment, so I wanted a sump again. Finally I chose the 425xl.

The great guys at A Reef Creation, thank you to Randy and his guys, really helped me out getting all the stuff I needed, to make this a reality. (They also helped fuel my addiction in great corals and high tech equipment)

So, a few days ago, I brought my new stand home, and assembled it. Bought my pump and skimmer, and started the new list of what else I needed and wanted.
Today, I picked the tank up, and set it on the stand, made sure it was level, and put a little water in it to get started.

And so it begins......

Now that the back ground is set, I’m going to do my best to keep up a log of the set up and transfer of my 40 gal IM to my new 425xl.

Stay tuned, and please feel free to comment. I welcome all suggestions as many many things have changed in the years since I have done this.

Kevin

7DDB7481-CCDB-4023-A75D-C9AC486602E0.jpeg

625FD7A8-F192-4636-9239-7136D7FB5DBA.jpeg

90CCD0FF-B23B-4393-B210-7D944B5B29C7.jpeg

631CDEB0-F47C-4E26-9AEB-910AD3972EFA.jpeg

OP
OP
Howlnsound

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone!

So over the weekend, I was able to get the 40 moved to the other ice of the wall and get the new 425 stand in place. Then I spent a few hours trying to level it. The new adjustable feet are great.. but are a reall pain at the same time. Hey make me a bit nervous to be honest, but we will see. I may shim it up anyway as one corner is a little high for my taste with only that screw in foot to hold it.

Yesterday I go the tank and a buddy of mine and I were able to move it onto the stand without much trouble. Then I had to re-level the stand and tank again....

One I was as happy as I was going t be with that, I cleaned the tank (stupid styrofoam snaps and turns into little pieces if you look at it wrong) put about 10 or 12 gal of new saltwater into the new tank and put a power head on it to circulate.

My plan is to slowly fill the new tank and then circulate the water between the two tanks using my Apex Dos which is currently set up to do 2 gal automatic water changes daily.

So, once the tank has enough water in it (I have t set up the new RO/DI filter later today cause I ran out of RO and am tiered of buying it) I will set the DOS up to pull water from the new tank, and drain water from the 40 into it, thus creating a new saltwater holding tank that will eventually have the same temp, ph, and all other parameters as the 40. Once that is done, I can simply move everything right over.

Well, thtats the plan anyways.... but time to get ready for work, here’s some progress pics.

Thanks
KB

OP
OP
Howlnsound

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back home from work, and time to “play”.
Here’s what the plans are for the new tank.
Most of my filtration won’t transfer so I had to buy new. Luckily the included v3 sump with the 425 is more than up to the job.

Lighting:
Radion xr30 pro G4
AI Hydra 26 (non pro) - temp until I can swing a new Radion

Heater:
Eheim 250W submersible - I have a finnex 300W Titanium on order, then the Eheim will be a backup

Skimmer:
New Red Sea 600 - read great things about them... we will see. It sure is built nice though and went together easy.

Pumps:
Ecotech Vectra M1 - return pump
2 Ecotech MP 10 WQD - gonna see how they do or if I have to go with 2 MP40’s
Dual RFG’s upgrade to Red Sea return line - M1 should provide plenty of flow for this

Controller:
2016 Neptune Apex

2 Dos pumps - 1 for auto water change, 1 for dosing 2 part B-IONIC Ca and Alk
May add a third and change to Red Sea 3 part Ca, Alk, Mg.

It was brought to my attention that B-Ionic contains copper in it. How much I’m not sure but it’s right on the label and it makes me nervous. I don’t see any I’ll affect at this point, and many others are successful using it, so I will finish off what I have then change to Red Sea.

AFS for when I am working an small daily feedings. I find it is better to feed many small amounts throughout the day as opposed to larger ones at night after work and from my research, the Neptune Crossover Diet is good for both fish and corals.

Other food is and will continue:
Mysis
Brine shrimp
Reef Roids - man they love that stuff!
Polyp food

As you can see I am a bit of a Euphillia nut. I love Torches, Frogspawns, Hammers, and Octos.

This tank will be mostly softies, LPS, mushrooms, Leathers, Duncan’s, Adan’s, Chalices, and the occasional easier to keep Acro.
I will also have a few fish, I will move the Phantom Clown pair over, the Foxface, Firefish, and Six Line Wrasse will also move.

My Blood Shrimp, May stay in the 40 or move over, he hides in the back for the most part and doesn’t bug me or the corals, but the 2 peppermint shrimp I regretted putting in from day one to eliminate a small aptaisia problem are toast! (Actually, I will just trade them in for credit, or give them to my brother to deal with. His puffer loves to play with his food....) they haven’t really killed anything, but they sure peeve things off at times!

I am going back and forth over a Chaeto Reactor, or a refugium. I have a little time to decide yet but any input is appreciated.

Well back to work, I mean play on the new set up, I’ll add more pics soon.

Have a good night! And Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
Howlnsound

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a bit of a slow day.
I set up my RO / DI unit and then instead of making water to fill the new tank, I had to let it run for over an hour to clean out the system. (Per the instructions)

Better safe than sorry I guess, so let it run I did then put the DI cartridge back in and let it run again till it showed 0 TDS.

Now it’s bed time and had to shut it off as I don’t have a large enough storage tank to let it run all night. Hmmm.... guess that’s going on the list. Anyone have any suggestions on storage tanks, I’ve looked around here in the articles but all I see is Brute garbage cans and white 100gal containers which I like and would rather but no one says where they got them from. Anyone know????

I have started letting my running tank drain it’s daily water change water into the new tank along with about 20 gal of fresh saltwater. I don’t mind it going slow as I have some plumbing to finish up before I can get the sump running anyways. But. Do have a pump running for circulation and a heater going to keep the temp up.

The goal is to eventually when I get everything set to circulate the water between the two tanks via my daily water change of 2 gal per day until the parameters match then it will be a quick move over. Until then, it’s a very large “new’”saltwater holding tank.

Being that it isn’t close to full yet however, I am still putting new new saltwater (from my current new saltwater holding tank made fresh every couple days) in the 40 gal and just taking the drain from the 40 and filling the 425, 2 gal at a time along with however much fresh RO / DI I have on hand that day, to make new saltwater after I fill the small storage tank with new saltwater and my other with fresh RO /DI top off water.

I did however end up with a new addition yesterday. I was it of town visiting one of my other Branches for work in Rochester and decided to stop at Carribian Forest. What a great shop! Jason is super nice and knowledgeable. I happen to come across a beautiful Torch calling out my name.
As it turns out, it is an aquacultured Torch Coral that was fraged from an Indonesian Torch originally by TCK coral that he had been growing out for years named a Blow Torch.
He had three pieces in the tank along with a few other mice looking Indo Torches he had grown from his personal stash.

Well, as I said, it was calling me and just made me take it home. I can’t wait to see it in the new tank.

It went in after it’s dip bath last night and then lights out.
This morning it was out and seemed happy. And tonight, it was extended and flowing doing well. After a nice Reef Roid meal, it is super happy.
Awesome colors and great sway.....

Here are some nice pics, thanks for reading.

Kevin

9366EA45-FD6B-4333-8A05-8D35FA16EF70.jpeg 4E9222E1-BDC1-4BB3-BE5F-6F7D49A50C75.jpeg

1E2AD9BD-292A-405A-9EE2-1D540B98A7D1.jpeg

DD297E09-ADE5-4509-A07C-ABA00C735A41.jpeg

47BE33DE-B2EE-4B25-8A44-CC022C3A050C.jpeg

FE642BAB-7635-495F-B4F1-1BA410526E93.jpeg 8E1561B3-3D26-445F-B530-1D7DF07F0A86.jpeg

5186015C-EC04-4BFB-AF87-C2170B2B159B.jpeg

OP
OP
Howlnsound

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,
Well it’s been a few weeks and I have some progress. I got tired of waiting for the plumbing so I started filling my new 425 with saltwater, added both dry Carib Sea Reef Saver Base / Shelf Rock, and some new reef Live Rock.
Next I added 80lbs of Carib Sea Bahama Oolite Live Sand.
I have had a Waveline Pump circulating for a few weeks with an Eheim 250W heater, and finally broke down and added a new HOB filter temporarily. It’s just a Marineland 300 but with no real bioload, it will be just fine for a few weeks.
I installed on the left side, an AI Hydra 26 set to AB+ settings (or as close as I could find) and set it to acclimate up for 30 days
I added another few pieces of Live Rock from my current tank and about 20 gal of water from the existing tank.
I pulled some of the bio media I had running in my other tank for over a month and added it to the tank and then placed it in the filter along with a few filter sponges I had in there “bacteria-ing” up.
I also added a little frozen mysis shrimp to help the mini cycle.

Since it has been running for about 4+ weeks, the last several with the filter media and new filter,
Yesterday I added some Nassarius snails (about a dozen) a conch, and a Melanarus (sp?) Wrasse.
I figured with the live rock, the established filter media, live sand, and water, I at least had a shot.
This morning, all looked good before I went to work.
When I got home a few hours later, the sanails were out, the couch was on the move, but no sign of the Wrasse..... oh oh...

I immediately checked the tank, and the surrounding floor. No sign of him.... I grabbed my dog opened his mouth looked down his throat and said “Did you eat my fish?” My wife looked at me like I was nuts and said,”I didn’t even know you had a fish in there”.

So, with no guilty look on the dog and a clueless wife, I looked for any other sign of an escape. I found none.

My hope is that he is just hiding and buried in the sand as I know they like to do, especially when they are stressed or scared.
I added a little food to the tank and the snails were happy, I will check again in the am. Hopefully he will show his face.

Here are some pics as it stands, another good note, I should have the missing pieces of my plumbing this week so I can finally get the sump up and running properly and get rid of that noisy HOB filter. (Noisy because I have to keep the water level below the overflow but high enough for the filter pump to draw the water in. At least I will have a back up for an emergency

OP
OP
Howlnsound

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo! Plumbing arrived on Tuesday. I picked it up Tuesday night, went home, and started assembling. Once I got it all into place, I used what RO water I had left and filled what I could with fresh saltwater. - not enough.

I also started adding some beneficial Bacteria to aid with the cycling. I didn’t think I really had too, but I was doing some more reading here on R2R and checking out YouTube and after several articles and videos endorsed the practice with great results, I decided it couldn’t hurt and if it does help, great!

Yesterday I filled the rest of the tank after making more RO water (man that thing takes forever...1hr 40 min for 2.2 gal). I almost ran out of salt so I asked my wife to pick me up another bucket or Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket) on her way home from work since she passes one of my go to LFS. That was a fun conversation let me tell you....

Anyways, I filled the sump and the tank, and let it run so I could adjust the flow. The plumbing was really noisy. It was almost the same as the HOB filter. So I re-read the filter instructions and it said to turn the dial. So I did. A little better but not much. I figured I would walk away for the night and let it settle.

I removed the HOB filter, cleaned everything, set up the heaters on the Apex, and set the M1 return pump. Life was good so far.

Today, everything is great! Melanurus as been doing good, still hiding a lot in the afternoon and evening, but he was eating yesterday well. I also suspect he had been chowing down on my Nassarius snails as they seem to be disappearing... but not positive yet.

I happened to be working out f town and just “had” to stop by Caribbean Forest where I got the Melanurus Wrasse. Jason and his wife Millie are fantastic! Last time I was there I saw two little Black Phantom Clowns in one of the tanks, and I haven’t been able to get them out of my mind since. So I stopped by and they were still there.

Needless to say, they are not anymore. I picked up them, and some new Nassarious snails and som Cerith snails, and headed for home.

After a bit of acclimation, they are happily swimming away together in the tank while the Melanurus Wrasse hides (little bugger’s gonna be in for a surprise when he wakes up!)

I also was able to adjust the return pump and plumbing and it is silent now. I also got the new Red Sea Skimmer working though I am sure it will need some adjusting tomorrow after it breaks in a bit.

Outstanding!!!

With the addition of the bacteria, I am going to start merging the two tanks this weekend and making sure the parameters all match then start transferring some corals over. I will probably start with some mushrooms and polyps then see how they all do before I start with the Torches and hammers. Next I will have to make the decision on if I am going to set up the refugium or get a pax Chaeto reactor.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the new little ones. I’ll let them settle in tonight.

Happy reefing everyone!
Kevin

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the build! I'd go refugium because of the better reports of critters(copepods and such) surviving there and feeding the tank.

OP
OP
Howlnsound

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, it’s the way I am leaning. Now to decide to go bare bottom, sand, or a “miracle mud” type of sub straight with some live rock and chaeto. Then, what light to use.

I just ordered my second EchoTech 30 pro set up for the display and 2- Mp 40s. So, those should be in at the end f the week. Then I’ll put the AI Hydra 26 back on the 40 and move some more corals over.

I’m not taking any chances, or at least trying to midigate them as best as possible... each coral transferred will get a new dip in Coral RX and then after a rest in tank water, a dip in Revive along a good scrubbing and inspection for good measure. Don’t want any hitchhiking beasties making there way to the new tank. (I hate bristleworms... I know they can be good at times, but they are ugly and pain when they multiply. Years ago in an old tank, I had a run of them and couldn’t get rid of them.)

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back