Kdh issue in water changes

Thatreefguy88

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some time now, I have had issues with my kdh levels being high in my water changes. I use a 12 gallon plastic storage container to mix my water changes. I have found that if I use my kdh buffer in that container, the kdh levels are much higher then needed once mixed. I use 1/8 tsp of buffer per gallon of fresh water to bring the dkh to 9.0-10.0. If I put 1/8 tsp of buffer in a 1 gallon bottle of fresh water, it will be right on the dot. If I add 1/8 tsp of buffer per gallon in a 4 gallon water change in my mixing container, the kdh will be well over 13.0, without fail. Anyone had this issue, or perhaps I am overlooking something obvious?
 
Using 0 tds RoDi water to start with? What salt are you using? Why the buffer in the first place?
 
Using 0 tds RoDi water to start with? What salt are you using? Why the buffer in the first place?
Yes, RoDi water, instant ocean reef crystals, and I have to use a buffer or Kdh will be far to low.
 
I'm assuming you mean Dkh as in alkalinity? Maybe I'm wrong here though. Reef crystals itself mixes to I think around 11 or 12 doesn't it? Adding a buffer will make that even higher.
 
I’m pretty sure IORC is one of the highest alk salt mixes you can get. Are you mixing to weight? Need to measure g/L
 
I'm assuming you mean Dkh as in alkalinity? Maybe I'm wrong here though. Reef crystals itself mixes to I think around 11 or 12 doesn't it? Adding a buffer will make that even higher.
Yes, dKh, I just realized I did that. Lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new