Keep THESE TWO THINGS out of your tank for a better reef? True or False?

How often are your hands in the tank?

• Every Day

Votes: 171 22.9%
  • Few Days A Week

Votes: 266 35.6%
  • Once A Week

Votes: 183 24.5%
  • Every Few Weeks

Votes: 77 10.3%
  • Monthly Or Longer

Votes: 38 5.1%
  • Literally Never

Votes: 12 1.6%

• Total voters

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really like the idea, because 1) They get all sticky and smell bad afterwards, and 2) I’m subconscious about how clean my hands are, going in the tank.

Every few days.
If your hands are sticky after having them in the water you have somthing wrong as they should be clean and if it smells like fish add carbon as it should smell like nothing really

Builderguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work with all sorts of crap at work: paints, stains, caulks, lubricants, adhesives, preservatives. Then it's hard to have a weekend when some vehicle maintenance isn't getting done. So by extension I will let frags sit in sand on their side for several weeks if dislodged by the crab until I've managed to go a few days with clean fingernails.

I do have tools but I have to take my light off to use them in the display so easier to wait.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 it does not matter whatsoever. Zero impact. #2 sometimes I put my hands into my tank like - 5-10 times per day, and sometimes I don't touch my tank for a week or so.
If it has zero impact hen why do they close up when my hand goes in and a fish can swim by and they dosnt close up but somehow they know if its a human hand. Not sayin they dont open again but I am a believer it has an impact. Jake adams says he never puts his hand in his tank after he went on vacay and when he returned his tank never looked better and he used to put his hands in all the time. I dont follow my own advise though! LOL. The gloves I have are to big and water fills them up to my fingers even so what the use? I guess I just need better fitting gloves but hard to find ones that are long enough past the elbows!!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend gloves that go past the elbow that will fit a ladys hand snugly? I have some but they are big and fill with water that just drains back in to the tank when I take them off plus the finger tips are so wide its hard to grab a small frag or crab or anything that isnt big! My hands are in there daily! Picking up frags my snails knock off or rescuing a snail or even feeding. I do know my corals react and close when my hands go in!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back