Keeping a pygmy octopus from escaping a 10 gallon tank.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I was wondering how hard it is to keep a pygmy octopus from escaping. If it wants out, it will get out. I am planning on using carbon filter padding to help seal it in. I can't close the lid completely as it slides into the wire for the small filter. Any advice?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a RSR Max Nano for an atlantic pygmy..... You have to custom/plan everything. Use return pump only, a big one, and completely seal the top. If that means rubber fittings for whatever wires you have running, so be it.

Edit: 10g is too small. I was conflicted about putting one in a 20, and honestly they should be in 50 cube +

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a RSR Max Nano for an atlantic pygmy..... You have to custom/plan everything. Use return pump only, a big one, and completely seal the top. If that means rubber fittings for whatever wires you have running, so be it.

Edit: 10g is too small. I was conflicted about putting one in a 20, and honestly they should be in 50 cube +
For a 5 inch long pygmy?

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... they are active, do well with large rock structures, etc. I wouldn’t put one in a 10g
From what I am reading it looks like even a small one like that needs at least 30 gallons. Some sources say 10 but I may just need to decline it on the grounds that tank size is very important, next to water quality.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were you sourcing it from? I had my local shop working with his divers..... Buying them online, you may get one that is already at the end of it’s life too.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were you sourcing it from? I had my local shop working with his divers..... Buying them online, you may get one that is already at the end of it’s life too.
They get them from a diver in Florida so hopefully it isn't that way. But if the tank is too small per your advice I may just waive it and let it go to someone else.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this as they don't live long and are very intelligent. But I have made up my mind on the matter.
I hope you make a custom lid that seals completely. Not doing so is akin to having a toddler and hoping they won’t wander out of the house and onto the freeway through the open door.
checkout the care section at www.Tonmo.com

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only advice is maybe don’t get one. To me it’s not worth it to keep a creature that so clearly doesn’t want or enjoy being kept and will do whatever it takes to escape. Cephalopods are my favorite creatures, as much as I enjoy watching them I couldn’t keep one. Sorry I know that’s not the advice you asked for ;-)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back