Keeping a QT Cycle Going

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting the 13.5 Fluval and turning it into a QT tank.

Been reading a bunch of articles and it seems really straight forward.

My question is how do you keep a tank with no life stock in it cycled? If it's just sitting around empty for month between adding things to the tank does the initial bacteria just stay alive in the biofilter?

Thanks for any help.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose ammonium chloride, which will add ammonia and feed your biofilter. This is the same as you would do when fishless cycling a tank.

Or, you can keep a hardy fish in the tank all the time, something like a black molly conditioned to saltwater.

Last, keep some extra bio media in your main tank or sump. Then, use that cycled media to setup your QT tank as needed. This way, you can break down and clean your QT between uses.

Remember, if you're doing a medicated QT use ceramic media for your bio media, or another non-reactive material (plastic pot scrubbies would likely work too). And I wouldn't reuse the QT's bio media back in your display tank, I would pitch it and use new media for the next QT that has been in your DT for 4-8 weeks or longer.

I hope that helps!

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose ammonium chloride, which will add ammonia and feed your biofilter. This is the same as you would do when fishless cycling a tank.

Or, you can keep a hardy fish in the tank all the time, something like a black molly conditioned to saltwater.

Last, keep some extra bio media in your main tank or sump. Then, use that cycled media to setup your QT tank as needed. This way, you can break down and clean your QT between uses.

Remember, if you're doing a medicated QT use ceramic media for your bio media, or another non-reactive material (plastic pot scrubbies would likely work too). And I wouldn't reuse the QT's bio media back in your display tank, I would pitch it and use new media for the next QT that has been in your DT for 4-8 weeks or longer.

I hope that helps!
This is great intel.

Thank you

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my preferred option.

I keep a piece of filter sock cut to the same size as the QT HOB filter insert in the sump of the DT. Need to set up QT I just pop it in the HOB and it’s done. At least for purposes of QT fish. Bonus is it shouldn’t absorb medications so makes keeping track of copper easier.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my preferred option.

I keep a piece of filter sock cut to the same size as the QT HOB filter insert in the sump of the DT. Need to set up QT I just pop it in the HOB and it’s done. At least for purposes of QT fish. Bonus is it shouldn’t absorb medications so makes keeping track of copper easier.
How long before you add life stock do you set up the QT?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get new fish I just set up the QT tank the same day and dump in a bottle of fritz turbo start.

I don't add new fish often enough for it to be worthwhile to keep a QT system running all the time, and I usually only acquire a few fish at a time so it's not a large bio-load.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You want to start it over and sterilize it. Use seachem matrix. But a couple of bags and keep them in the sump of your main. After a successful round, break down and bleaching it, let it dry under a fan for 24hr, and go again.

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hilarious what is common knowledge to some and not very intuitive to others.

I honestly hadn't even considered just tearing it down and setting it up quickly and just using precycled biofilter and instant bacteria.

So much easier than maintaining a whole other empty tank.

Thank you all for your help.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only issue is getting your water up to temp if you decide to bring home a new fish one day. For that reason alone, I keep my water in my mixing station at 78 degrees.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure how big your main is, but you could possibly do a water change and use that water for your QT too if you don't have a mixing station. I qt in 10g tanks with 8g water. If I have a few fish or a tang, I'll use the 20g. I have 2x 20g and 2x 10g in a closet for qt. I do hybrid TTM for Wrasse. Check my build thread if you want a masterclass in quarantining. Qt is like the 2nd post down in my thread. There's a lot there. I know that it's probably frustrating.

Hybrid TTM doesn't use a biofilter and it's been proven to be successful for years. You want to add on a fluke treament though. I add prazi to the TTM but I don't recommend this.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hilarious what is common knowledge to some and not very intuitive to others.

I honestly hadn't even considered just tearing it down and setting it up quickly and just using precycled biofilter and instant bacteria.

So much easier than maintaining a whole other empty tank.

Thank you all for your help.
You don't need bottled bacteria if your media is in your sump for a few weeks. Save your money... Seachem Matrix is the best because it doesn't absorb the copper or anything for that matter... it's cheap too. A simple Tidal 55 filter is perfect for a 20g. Don't waste your money on a fancy tank either. Petco has 10g for $10 quite often. Get 2 and cut your QT time in half.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back