Keeping Palys Under Control

EleMental

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen several discussions about how to remove palys, or at least keep them from overtaking neighboring corals. I thought I'd share something that has been working for me. I like the look of my palys and didn't want to remove them all together. I also didn't want to risk possible exposure to toxins. I tried putty at one point but they quickly grew right over it. So after reading and trying one successful technique for removing aptasia, I wondered if it would work for palys as well.
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but wanted to share because while I've seen this done with those pesky nems, I haven't seen it applied to other out of control colonies and it's worked quite well so far.
I mixed kalkwasser into a heavy paste and used a pipette to place a small clump into the mouths of just the palys I wanted to back off a bit (I had a few little zoas just not getting their shot to spread). After two days the heads receded and there is plenty of room for the little guys.
f7d68f370a8093366b141a947c003a4f.jpg

Anyone else tried this? Any adverse effects to be concerned with? So far this feels like the least invasive technique I've found. Thanks all [emoji1]

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be a little concerned about them all getting stressed out, dying, and messing up your water chemistry. I think the best thing to do is manual removal. Take a stiff bristle brush and rub them off of the rock while wearing eye and hand protection. After brushing them off, rinse the rock in some clean seawater a couple of times before putting them back in the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be a little concerned about them all getting stressed out, dying, and messing up your water chemistry. I think the best thing to do is manual removal. Take a stiff bristle brush and rub them off of the rock while wearing eye and hand protection. After brushing them off, rinse the rock in some clean seawater a couple of times before putting them back in the tank.
It doesn't effect anything that I've seen. I've been doing this for quite some time.
IMG_0181.JPG

OP
OP
EleMental

EleMental

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Definitely something to think about. I'll keep an eye on this. I don't want to pull the rock if I can avoid it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back