Keeping surgeonfish successfully...

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-Obsessed - there are a few good angelfish for a reef aquarium. The Japanese or True swallowtail angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos) is a stellar option. They are moderate in size, usually only getting about 8" in the aquarium, and since they are mid-water plankton feeders, they rarely bother corals. Also, their personalities are docile and they aren't as bold as many large marine angels. Sometimes you can find a male/female pair, and if your tank is large enough, pairs will do quite well. Most of the dwarf angels are known coral nippers, and despite their smaller size, they can do a lot of damage. There are a few other species of mid-water plankton feeding marine angels, and most of them make good reef residents. Another option, would be something along the lines of a crosshatch triggerfish (Xanthichthys mento). The entire Xanthichthys clan are mid-water plankton feeders, and make good reef residents. They include the blue-throat triggerfish, the sargassum (or red-tailed) triggerfish and the pink-tailed triggerfish.[/QUOTE]

Well, I live in Japan so finding a Japanese Swallowtail shouldn't be hard to find, lol. Love the Triggerfish, especially the blue-throat. I thought all triggers were off-limits when it cones to reef aquariums, so that is great news! I'm looking at going bigger with tank, say a 110 or so. Thanks for the info!

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-Obsessed - there are a few good angelfish for a reef aquarium. The Japanese or True swallowtail angelfish (Genicanthus melanospilos) is a stellar option. They are moderate in size, usually only getting about 8" in the aquarium, and since they are mid-water plankton feeders, they rarely bother corals. Also, their personalities are docile and they aren't as bold as many large marine angels. Sometimes you can find a male/female pair, and if your tank is large enough, pairs will do quite well. Most of the dwarf angels are known coral nippers, and despite their smaller size, they can do a lot of damage. There are a few other species of mid-water plankton feeding marine angels, and most of them make good reef residents. Another option, would be something along the lines of a crosshatch triggerfish (Xanthichthys mento). The entire Xanthichthys clan are mid-water plankton feeders, and make good reef residents. They include the blue-throat triggerfish, the sargassum (or red-tailed) triggerfish and the pink-tailed triggerfish.

Well, I live in Japan so finding a Japanese Swallowtail shouldn't be hard to find, lol. Love the Triggerfish, especially the blue-throat. I thought all triggers were off-limits when it cones to reef aquariums, so that is great news! I'm looking at going bigger with tank, say a 110 or so. Thanks for the info an sorry for the double post. I screwed up the 1st one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back