Keeping your aquarium cool WITHOUT a chiller?

Do you run a chiller on your tank?

• YES

Votes: 77 11.6%
  • NO

Votes: 563 85.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 3.3%

• Total voters

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank temp setting on the P4 is 26.5 C. With the warmer weather, if the AC is not on in the living room, it has gotten up to 28.3 during the day.

28.5 C is probably the upper limit that I would tolerate. So far, I have seen no negative effect of the current temps of the tank. Keep in mind that when the temp hit 28.3 it was a peak and that the temp came down as the day cooled down so it wasn't at that temp all day long.

With the AC on the temps don't get near that high.

I have three of the GHL 5 fan units on the tank and they do help but for me they are more of a backup of the AC. As long as the AC is running all day long, the tank temps stay around 26.6 to 27.2 or so...

My advice is that, if you have the budget, get the GHL 5 fan unit anyway. It will help reduce any extreme temp swings during the day if you need it. But like I said before, I have been diving in tropical waters with temps of 27-28 and beautiful corals. But that is the sea and not a reef tank.

On my previous 250 liter tank I just had a table fan blowing across the surface and that did the job very well. But I didn't have five Mitras 7206s over the tank either in an enclosed "canopy". Maybe try a normal fan first?
Thanks for the reply, my tank has also 250 liter, I live in Austria so high Temperatures are here pretty rare . I will buy the GHL Fan just because i found it at a good price .

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noctua makes an industrial grade waterproof fan model, I linked it in a previous post. A little expensive but come with a ridiculous warranty and are totally sealed internally.

Thanks re: the print quality comment. I use really nice printers and am meticulous about the plastics I use, climate control, maintenance, and calibration! Many people still think of 3D prints as “rough” or for prototyping, but properly done you can get a high quality end product.
Can you resend the Noctua industrial grace waterproof link for us that missed it the first time around - love your setup.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheHarold First thanks for the 3D print files. I’m looking to follow your fan build. Where did you get the 24v apex to 4 pin fan connector? You said it was a DIY one? Is that something I can buy from you? Thank you!
I DIY’d it- if you provide power (2 wires) to a computer fan it runs at 100% output. Google 4 pin fan connector to see what are the + and - pins.

If you need help I can get one made for you.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My way may seem crazy to most, but it works for me. I built a fishroom in the garage. 300g sump, 400g working display, 2 40g and a 90g qt, with a 320g display in the house connected to this system.

I use a 120v 12k minisplit to control the fisroom temps, which in turns controls the water temp. I found this to be the most efficient way for me to accomplish very stable water temps.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3C484327-A425-4A0C-8675-C75A33AD6443.jpeg

I have two 150-gallon FOWLRs, each got to 86-degrees for 5-6 months last year here in sunny Florida. No noticeable change in any fishes’ behavior all those months, glad to say.

max_rosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIY’d it- if you provide power (2 wires) to a computer fan it runs at 100% output. Google 4 pin fan connector to see what are the + and - pins.

If you need help I can get one made for you.
Not sure if anyone will see this, I'm a few months late! Just came across this thread and thank you so much for all the Noctua info (and links)!

My question is, since I'm not using an apex controller, would it be bad for the fans to get the noctua and adapter and just run it at 100%? Or go with a less powerful one for that case?

(This is outside the scope of this forum, but I'm also looking into this for a coldwater freshwater tank, in which case I might be running them 24/7...would the Noctua's be up for that?)

Thanks!!

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a room without a built in AC unit (just have a portable unit, that i dont use all the time), but with a GHL 3 fan cooler blowing on the sump, i range from 77-80 degrees on a 65g

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone will see this, I'm a few months late! Just came across this thread and thank you so much for all the Noctua info (and links)!

My question is, since I'm not using an apex controller, would it be bad for the fans to get the noctua and adapter and just run it at 100%? Or go with a less powerful one for that case?

(This is outside the scope of this forum, but I'm also looking into this for a coldwater freshwater tank, in which case I might be running them 24/7...would the Noctua's be up for that?)

Thanks!!

Running it 24/7 might make the tank too cold, and you will have an extreme amount of evaporation. I wouldn’t suggest it.

Inkbird makes a heater/chiller controller that would be a good investment for you. Backup heater control and can also control the fan.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this would be surprising to some, I don’t run one even though I live in the middle of the desert of the UAE.
Air conditioning all the way!

max_rosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running it 24/7 might make the tank too cold, and you will have an extreme amount of evaporation. I wouldn’t suggest it.

Inkbird makes a heater/chiller controller that would be a good investment for you. Backup heater control and can also control the fan.
Thanks for the quick reply- and the tips!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual stage heater chiller controller is probably the best way without apex controller. I did this for years before I got an apex. Heating side set to turn on at 78 off at 79 cooling on at 80 off at 79.

WolvertonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In PA here, current house was a hunting cabin someone kept adding on to... so central air is out (no where to run ducts) This summer, tank hit 82F and I was geeking out. (65g Marineland with 29g sump/fuge) Tried fans, ice packs, without much success (house was at 84F when the tank was up) Ended up putting 2 mini splits in which helped the whole house anyway. Although, at 82F for a few days, coral seemed normal. 2 clowns, a naso tang, fire goby and blenny also seemed ok.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back