Keeping zoas in one area

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I am planning to get zoas, but dont want them spread too much onto the main rock. Therefore, my question is whats the best way to control them and keep them in one area? Can they be kept on plugs/discs forever? Or they have to be relocated when they outgrow the plug?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be difficult to confine them to a specific area of a rock once they get established and start growing. Some use kalk paste to kill them or they can be scraped off, etc. but it is usually a continuous battle... unless of course you want them to cover the whole rock in which case they seem to not grow :)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few zoa mini colonies that have covered the the frag plug but have not grown under it.
other zoas I have have grown under the plug, down the stem and to the rock.
all depends on what zoa.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine either on it's own rock, or on frag disks. When the frag disk gets too full, I just frag the colony and place that same disk back onto the sand for it to grow again.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back