Kenya tree growing like a weed

  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeyAl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MikeyAl

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2014
Messages
822
Reaction score
229
Location
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will preface this by saying I've kept plenty of soft corals, but only recently added a Kenya tree- which I've never owned.
So I came home from a 10 day vacation to find that I have little Kenya Trees growing in different parts of the tank. One is literally sprouting a foot away in between 2 Zoa colonies. Is this pretty normal for this coral to propagate like that? Should I cut out the new sprouts if they are too close to other corals?
Thanks
M
 
What your seeing is pretty normal for this coral. Some people consider it a pest because it reproduces so quickly, but they were probably slow on the uptake. Stay ahead of it...

FWIW I used to cut these things about an inch from the base. It looks like a sad stalk for awhile, but it does grow back. Very easy to manage. GL.
 
I will preface this by saying I've kept plenty of soft corals, but only recently added a Kenya tree- which I've never owned.
So I came home from a 10 day vacation to find that I have little Kenya Trees growing in different parts of the tank. One is literally sprouting a foot away in between 2 Zoa colonies. Is this pretty normal for this coral to propagate like that? Should I cut out the new sprouts if they are too close to other corals?
Thanks
M
They grow like crazy, I Remove the ones that fall off so they don't become invasive.
 
Your very welcome. :)

Not a Kenya tree, but it's pretty much the same thing. GL.



 
What your seeing is pretty normal for this coral. Some people consider it a pest because it reproduces so quickly, but they were probably slow on the uptake. Stay ahead of it...

FWIW I used to cut these things about an inch from the base. It looks like a sad stalk for awhile, but it does grow back. Very easy to manage. GL.

Will it sting my Duncan or zoa colonies?
 
I don't think so... That Duncan might say something else though. Sometimes they fight, other times they get along. GL

No problems here. ;)

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new