Kessil 360x or AP700 or Radion xr15 pro

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Geismann Aurora over my Reefer 750 which is @ 6 feet. I get very low par unless I put whites up high which looks bad to the eye. I get no shimmer except in am when Blue LEDs are on and shimmer is minor. I recently purchased a Geismann Stellar because I love the quality of their white finish. I don't know whether to put in 4 Radion XR 15 Pros or 4 Kessel a360X or 2 Kessil AP700. I want some shimmer and better par. I currently get 85 at the bottom. I want an SPS dominant tank. Everything in my tank is growing slowly but I am not stocked with much sis. Par at 6" below surface is 225. Lights are 8 inches above water surface. I like the idea of Kessil logic vs radion.

I want to add more par and shimmer. I welcome thoughts on all lights I listed above to go with my 4 T5 which currently are 2 Coral+, 2 Blue+. I also am concerned on how to mount lights to Stellar since they use a rail system that I think is rickety.

Please give me your thoughts.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a kessil man myself. I have 3 360xs over my tank. And the way my frags have been growing I don’t think I even need t5s although I do want to supplement at some point once the sps colonies start to grow more. Setting up I had a choice between the ap700 and the 360x and I ultimately chose the 360x based on price. I would have needed 2 ap700 but only 3 a360x which ended up a little cheaper but based on BRS reviews they work just as good(the 360Xs not the 360WEs)
I love the way the lights look in my tank and the shimmer is great. If the tank isnt shimmering then you have zero gas exchange! That’s what the shimmer makes me think about

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I forget the brand(it’s something aquatics or maybe aquatic life) but I really want that t5 hybrid fixture they make. That makes mourning easy and it looks super clean and it comes in white and black. It comes up to 72” I believe

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
radions or 360's get my vote. I had a 700, could never grow anything with it. Never had a problem with other kessils, (80, 160, 360) just that one. Plus the programing is sometimes a pain.

I dunno, maybe I was using it wrong.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from Radions to Kessils for one reason only. Customer support was 100x better with Kessil than it was with Ecotech. To me that speaks volumes. Ecotech has basically told me that any problems that arise are mysteriously not covered under warranty and all my fault. Kessel has been the exact opposite and went way above and beyond even my expectations. Ecotech told me to mail the lights in and they would evaluate them for a fee. Then they called to let me know it would cost $875 to fix. Kessil mailed me a replacement light and told me to mail the light under warranty back after I received the replacement. This was even after I told them that I had bought the light new from Ebay.

I know there are alot of Ecotech fanboys that will come out now. You want proof then just email each company telling them you have a problem with one of their products and see the HUGE difference in how it is handled.

I went from 3 Gen 4 XR30w's to 4 Kessil 360we's and without even saying anything to my wife the first thing out of her mouth was "Wow, That is really pretty" Talking about the kessil shimmer. I am also running 4 t5's. This is over a 750xxl tank.

20190928_134515.jpg

Last edited:

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
radions or 360's get my vote. I had a 700, could never grow anything with it. Never had a problem with other kessils, (80, 160, 360) just that one. Plus the programing is sometimes a pain.

I dunno, maybe I was using it wrong.
Naw I kinda heard that too. That’s y I went with the 360xs and I have lots of growth already in just over a month

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I would go with the GHL Mitra LX 7 lights, maybe even the Radion Gen 4 30 pros. Personally the Mitra lights have a really nice shimmer, and no diffusers needed. The Mitra’s also have great customer service, and are German made. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back