Kessil and Aqua Illumination Tested - Kessil gives of 7.5 Times as much UV as AI LED

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to post the Model Numbers.

Kessil A160 vs AI Hydra 52

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know they didn't test it.

Jake Adams please test that as well as any other light that you may have and Post the Results on Reefbuilders.com

That would be great, thanks!
Reason I asked is because I have two A360 and they are growing my coral just fine and don't look that bad. I do wish that I had more control of the spectrum (particularly red) similar to the Radions, which I would have chose but money was an issue and I found these slightly used.
Need to have spending money for corals to put under the lights!! :thumb:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you're aware, the difference between 2mW of UV and 15mW of UV is like comparing a speck of dust to another speck of dust. Both are so incredibly low that there is a zero percent chance of them having any effect on color or growth.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you're aware, the difference between 2mW of UV and 15mW of UV is like comparing a speck of dust to another speck of dust. Both are so incredibly low that there is a zero percent chance of them having any effect on color or growth.

I was wondering if the difference was an amount that is biologically significant.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you know this for certain?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know this for certain?
Because I understand intensity. These intensities would not even be enough to activate the photosynthetic process, much less add anything to them. In addition, light decreases in intensity as an inverse square. If this reading was taken at, say, 6" away, if it's hung 8" over a 16" tall tank, the bottom of the tank would be down to microwatts​ of intensity.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I understand intensity. These intensities would not even be enough to activate the photosynthetic process, much less add anything to them. In addition, light decreases in intensity as an inverse square. If this reading was taken at, say, 6" away, if it's hung 8" over a 16" tall tank, the bottom of the tank would be down to microwatts​ of intensity.

Fair enough. I just wanted you to explain why you said it.

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in how these numbers compare to sunlight...

Also, wondering how accurate a UV meter is with LEDs, consider the PAR meter isn't accurate at all

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back