Kessil AP 700 or ATI Dimmable T5 Fixture 6 Bulb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What would you do?

• Kessil AP 700 - $650

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • API Dimmable T5 6 Bulb - $375

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EngineeringAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil I have near me is offered for $650 and the T5 is $375, this would be for a 40 gallon breeder and a 4 inch deep sand bed (only 12 inches of penetration needed for the water), hoping for a mixed reef. What would you do?

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ap700 is how I would go assuming it is in good working order. You will have to dial it back for a 40 gallon breeder.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either.
At 16in the t5 would be saweeeet.

Me, I'd hybrid the t5. And never dim it.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can watch the recently videos from BRS TV. They did one on T5 and one on Kessil. The differences are very obvious. As a mixed reef there are probably fewer requirements on PAR. If you want SPS dominant then T5 is your option. However for a mixed reef it's really up to you like. Do you like shimmering effect? Do you like the way corals look under LED or T5? Do you want to be able to dial and adjust your light or just want to have an easy plug and play system?

OP
OP
E

EngineeringAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the shimmer and haven't had LED before to know if I like one more (the shimmer I like from MH). I saw the video and I know they will both work (a Kessil AP 700 would actually do better for PAR then T5's). The question was more a value question and what others would do in my situation, preferably with a written reason. If they were the same price I would go AP no questions.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(a Kessil AP 700 would actually do better for PAR then T5's).
nope. t5 will win at the same 12in distance.

the falloff of the light is different the t5 falls off faster. But has less shading.

And it depends on mounting height for both, esp the T5. The advantage of led is the dimmer. In a shallow tank depending on live stock the T5 may be a bit much.
If you haven't done led yet Id encourage it just to see ramping and timers in action.
So that ,IMO, is the choice, value of the experience is hard to put a price on. Thats personal. neither lamp is "better".

OP
OP
E

EngineeringAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Salty, I guess I was wrong but you (I) learn something new every day, love this hobby! I'm using reviews and other sources for a final say but I like hearing what the average reefer has to say about it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols Opinion and Kool Aide needed.
(LOL)
I run the ole Kessil a80/T5 Hybird. It's wonderful and I love it!!!!!!!!!!

But... I can not put it in the same league as when I was pushing 10 t5's in the same factory canopy for a full blown SPS reef. :)

If you don't mind not having any shimmer then I'd go T5 and you can't beat an ATI unit when it comes to T5 par but I'd go with one of their non-dim-able units. (JMO) :D

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(LOL)
I run the ole Kessil a80/T5 Hybird. It's wonderful and I love it!!!!!!!!!!

But... I can not put it in the same league as when I was pushing 10 t5's in the same factory canopy for a full blown SPS reef. :)

If you don't mind not having any shimmer then I'd go T5 and you can't beat an ATI unit when it comes to T5 par but I'd go with one of their non-dim-able units. (JMO) :D

Yea, I've had both and agree that the non-dimmable is the way to go unless you care about 1 vs 3 cords and automatic fan thermostat.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the best of both worlds Ap700 and I LOVE the shimmer and colors. Then added 4-T5 blue plus to eliminate any shading and they are only on during the peak hours of my Kessil.

OP
OP
E

EngineeringAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan right now is to get the cheaper T5 setup and in the future, should I want, I can take out the middle few bulbs and mount a Kessil later (or some cool design Ill come up with later) or just get a bigger tank and need a lot more lights :)

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned both. I prefer the Kessil but if you're going all out sps the ati is really hard to beat (at any price point). In terms of the actual price point the ATI is the clear champ for results per dollar.

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw. I had different types of kessils and ended up adding t5s. I loved the shimmer but have now gone full t5 8x54w over my 75g and I'm definitely not disappointed. I would like to add a blue/stunner strip for dawn/dusk. There's a sacrifice of spending money on bulbs though if you go t5. Factor 6x$22.00 minimum twice a year and you're already near what the kessil ap700 cost. So many factors, also a lot depends on what you want to keep and how much you're willing to dish out now or now and later. Ironically I just picked up an old 400w fixture for my frag tank to play with metal halides. Beautiful shimmer and color with the radium bulb. I've been going backwards with technology. Do whats best for you and weigh all the options out in detail. Happy reefing and wish ya the best.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, guys!

Personally, I gave my vote to the T5 fixture. I've always had great success with them and I run them exclusively at home and here in the office. :)

-Randy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back