KESSIL AP9X GOOD OR NO GOOD?

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ive had an established tank for 2 years but never grew acros until 4 months ago. I jumped in and bought 17 frags. Now I have 1 ap9x and the dimensions of the tank are 36in so one lamp is sufficient. But fast forward 4 months and no poly extension, only 3 have encrused the rocks and the rest are just bla as far as color are concerned. My numbers are fantastic,
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1 -8.3
Dkh 9-10
Cal 450-475 depending if im dosing
Mag 1375
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .05
Is it my lights? I put my par meter on my acros and it varies from coral to coral bu 250 to 350 seems to be the average.. ive lost 5 frags.. out of the 17.. o and plenty of flow. I actually turned it down a bit cuz i felt it was too much.. am I supposed to continue to be patient? I feel like im not doing something cuz some guys are posting crazy growth and coloration in 6 months and mibe are literally the same size after 4 months. Please any info is appreciated

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get decent acro growth on my AP and I don’t go over 46% intensity. Now none of my SPS are super demanding (I am done with those days) but I have trim everything monthly. 36 inch tank

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get decent acro growth on my AP and I don’t go over 46% intensity. Now none of my SPS are super demanding (I am done with those days) but I have trim everything monthly. 36 inch tank
So I did something stupid about a month and half ago. And to top it off I completely forgot I did. I slowly started ramping up my light intensity from 60 to 75. Then about a month ago one of my acro frags died, then 2 then another the a 3 year old slimmer turned brown and then white and started dying.. i was dumbfounded. Then 2 days ago when im down to 8 of 22 frags i thought wait the lights.. put my par meter on the acros and they were at 500 par.. my slimmer thats on the sandbed with a kessil with a spotlight was over 500. I turned it down to 40% and now its at 190 to 200 and everything is looking happier. Soooo stupid. So ya ive came to the conclusion that ap9x is a good light, but never assume your eyes can tell anything about par.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely has 2 hot spots below the fixture. I mount mine up pretty in the mount then Extend them over half the tank and point the fixture slightly back towards the back wall. It slightly spreads the hot spots out and the corals get lit from the front just a bit instead of directly above. Good trick from one of Jake’s videos. My tank is 3 feet across and up as high as you can get it and the out and back method works! If I think of going over 50% intensity it will get too bright for everything. Used to have 3 primes before I got this and it’s been about Year and a half. They are perfect for me. Connecting wirelessly is kinda a pain

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back