Kessil Ap9x or Neptune Sky?

LiamTraynor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at upgrading my lights for my reefer 350.
I run a mixed reef but may look into adding more SPS in the future. I am torn between buying two Neptune sky’s (when available) or two kessil AP9X.
I run an apex on my system already so I like the idea of the skys, but since they’re brand new can I trust it?
Either set will cost upwards of $1700 so I want to get it right. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like putting my trust in a product without a lot of reliability data out there….but that being said I like the Neptune design more by a mile.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil.
Neptune - known for making products most of us can't afford.
Kessil - known for making lights

Last edited:

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have tried to used some of Neptune products. If their lights are like their other products, I would go with Kessil.

I'm in the process of switching to another controller from the Apex. I will be neptune free after this.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil.
Neptune - known for making products most of us can't afford.
Kessil - known for making lights

On the affordability front this makes no sense. The price point is the same for a similar watt kit but different form factor. The OP said they would buy two of either so at least do some basic math before saying something like making a product most can't afford. They set their price point and said it is within reason and/or similar.

Kessil ap9x is based off the a360x so similar lens. If you want to know a bit about how it works BRS did a decent job covering and testing it. Probably plenty of information out there for you to read.

Neptune SKY there isn't a lot of information yet other than what the NSI team can share or what you can see at trade shows or the few LFS that have them. If you are in the Bay area there is a store that has it on display. Both will will grow coral both will have quality build, and both will be in similar watt/par.

They will have different shimmer depths and coverage of the display. If you are not in a rush you can wait for Dana's review to make an assessment. In the mean time maybe list what you are looking for in a light since it may be easier to check off requirements.

Controller is not mandatory btw. It runs via Bluetooth but the Apex does open up some interesting features as it relates to monitors and other control.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at upgrading my lights for my reefer 350.
I run a mixed reef but may look into adding more SPS in the future. I am torn between buying two Neptune sky’s (when available) or two kessil AP9X.
I run an apex on my system already so I like the idea of the skys, but since they’re brand new can I trust it?
Either set will cost upwards of $1700 so I want to get it right. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Just as an FYI - the AP9X and APEX integration is in beta right now, so when it launches you'll be able to fully control your AP9X units through Fusion as well.

We'd say go with the AP9X units, but we're a tad biased ;)

OP
OP
L

LiamTraynor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI - the AP9X and APEX integration is in beta right now, so when it launches you'll be able to fully control your AP9X units through Fusion as well.

You may have just swayed me

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kessil deserves a lot of kudo's for the ioTa support. This is something a lot of people miss in that one is a controller entering a light market while kessil is lighting. On a simple level. Kessil didn't have to do this and I can say without a doubt it is cool.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back