Kessil Hallo Fuge light after 6 months ewew

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, I was doing a little maintenance and I knew I had to share this!
I started running a kessil 380 less than 6 months ago and I could see some dust collecting on the top and let it go. Well it started to make noise and had to get to it and this is what I found.
20181120_210119.jpg
20181120_210133 (1).jpg

Now I have 2 Kessil 360's that don't look like this...OR DO THEY? well defiantly not the last time I checked, but I will get to them this week and clean them up also. It must be that this light is contained in the cabinet with a sump creating salt creep and spray even though the light had none.
I am guessing that its tacky and just grabs dust more efficiently and simply compounds the process.
BTW I tried to use a home vac with a brush attachment but it was much too big and so I just used a small blade to scrape and loosen so the vac could remove, a small CPU vac is defiantly needed for this chore! Has any one used that small vac-pen? or what have you used to clean these up?
I now question all the other equipment in my cabinet, power strip and general cabinet light ect.
20180408_204706.jpg

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodness!! This is why I blow my light out monthly at minimum. At least you were able to clean it out and save the light from premature failure :)

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest for the $$$ I should not be Hand-cuffed to a light..Don't get me wrong I Like the lights a lot but Any product should not NEED that much attention . BTW I wonder if my 80 lb Labrador is partially to blame? also anyone that has several daughters will tell you bathroom exhaust fans will need to be cleaned more frequently (toilet paper lint and hair spray)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any electronic equipment that you stick in a moist enclosed box with very little natural airflow, close to the ground, should be expected to need maintainence FAR more often than equipment that has much more airflow and is mounted higher above the ground (Regardless of How much you pay for it). Your Lab is definately not helping, my dogs get there hair EVERYWHERE and it makes maintaining electronics that much more important, not just the tank, but bluray players, tvs, sound systems and so on.:)

You might be able to add some/more fans to increase airflow within the cabinet and that might help. If you mount the fans to blow into the cabinet from an area that doesn't have easy access for hair to float into that might be even better, a simple screen over the fan will block most large particles from being blown into your sump area as well.

BTW don't mean to sound harsh if I have, it's just the unfortunate reality of having our equipment where it is.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW don't mean to sound harsh if I have, it's just the unfortunate reality of having our equipment where it is.
Not at all . Ya I can see now the low proximity to the floor and the wife's vacuum stirring things up.
I find this interesting at the same time that the 360x launched and Its still a open frame system and not a sealed system like the other top 2 LED'S

Thanks for the heads up with other low lying electronics around the house! .....NOW I need to find a Micro Vac and electronics cleaning Kit for my Reef Tank:confused:.....My Wife's response to THAT will be priceless!;Joyful

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! :eek: Good to know. I know they need regular maintenance, but it is great to see what can happen after six months. Thanks for the photos!

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found this on amazon for 10 bucks going to give it a try
41AoF04bprL._AC_US218_.jpg

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet definitely increase dust on any air cooled equipment. Hardwood floor will reduce dust significantly. My Kessils have been running for two years without maintenance and they are still very clean.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people like new but I went with Hamilton 175W Reflector/6.5K Bulk/Electronic ballast but have a storage room sump. I run it 6 hrs a day as growth is too much for chaeto.

Black Friday bulks are now 44 usd.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet definitely increase dust on any air cooled equipment. Hardwood floor will reduce dust significantly. My Kessils have been running for two years without maintenance and they are still very clean.

I'll be checking all my lights today.
Like I mentioned, I beleve its the saltwater mist in my sump cabinet that is making everything sticky and dust collects faster

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned, I beleve its the saltwater mist in my sump cabinet that is making everything sticky and dust collects faster

Maybe add a cover right below the light then? A thing sheet of glass can get the job done.

I do keep glass covers on all my tanks including refugiums. My fish room is rather small so I do everything I can to reduce humidity.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add a cover right below the light then? A thing sheet of glass can get the job done.

I do keep glass covers on all my tanks including refugiums. My fish room is rather small so I do everything I can to reduce humidity.
Yup that would limit it. I am thinking about filter floss over the fan also......I use this at work, the fan would be ok to hose down but the heat sink has me worried .
Z-1rp_fo5oy.JPG

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a 90w LED puck full spectrum / magneta to the eye for 120 usd at a hydroponic store. It has a replaceable puck or driver in case with a 2 year warranty.

It works great. There are many option out there beside Kessil and Ecotech. I do like the Kessil concept but the cooling is just not there yet for reliability on cost.

Photos show a 3 usd cooling fan in a 350 dollar light. The Gen 1-3 Ecotech had a 25 usd chinese ballast in an aluminum case. Chaching...

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question, is it ok to use the keyboard cleaner caned air on lights for maintenance?

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question, is it ok to use the keyboard cleaner caned air on lights for maintenance?
that is what most use, @randyBRS did that on a video or Ryan did.
Its the salt spray in the sump cabnet that creates a tacky surface to collect dust then that gets coated and grabs more, compounding the problem. The amount of dust bothered me so I checked my wife's vacuum, its a fancy Shark with a hepa filter which shouldent be spewing all that dust, well it was dirty too, so Im guessing the beater bar was just making matters worst. A sump cover is really the answer but not sure if that will effect the growth of the chaeto

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back