Kessil LED for Magnificent Anemone

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a subject beat to death, but I have to ask as I am not finding any answers.

Tank is a 65 Gallon tall boy. Dimensions are 36L x 18D x 24H. One brace in the middle and glass tops.

It is the height that has me most concerned. My Mag sits on his rock dead center of the tank, approx 15 inches from the water surface. I am using some old AI Hydra lights that just plain suck now. I have replaced individual LED's in them and they work, but I'm looking for a better option and an excuse to upgrade. Kessils really have my attention right now.

I am considering the Kessil A360. But there are three choices, the X, the WE and the NE. I know the NE is more focused for deeper water. I thought to buy the A360NE, mount it to the left of my tank's center brace and focus it right on my Mag. I have a PAR meter and I am aware of the intensity adjustments that I'll likely need, so not to nuke him. My goal is to give my Mag the light he needs, with minimal light overspill. I'm not interested in lighting the whole tank actually, I am really trying to showcase my Mag while illuminating him with what he needs, and illuminating him with all his glory. So the sides/ends of the tank really don't need light. And I don't have corals or other inverts stashed around the tank. This is really just a Mag and some clownfish tank.

OR.....

Run two A160ws on either side of the center brace, with them pointed towards the center of the tank. Maybe two is better? Can A160ws even be pointed? Or is their spread so much that no matter what I do, I'll get lots of overspill or light everywhere else in the tank, taking away from the center piece?

Who here has run Kessils over their Mags? Thanks to everyone who made it this far in reading my long post.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 360we on my 90 gallon. My bta love them

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a subject beat to death, but I have to ask as I am not finding any answers.

Tank is a 65 Gallon tall boy. Dimensions are 36L x 18D x 24H. One brace in the middle and glass tops.

It is the height that has me most concerned. My Mag sits on his rock dead center of the tank, approx 15 inches from the water surface. I am using some old AI Hydra lights that just plain suck now. I have replaced individual LED's in them and they work, but I'm looking for a better option and an excuse to upgrade. Kessils really have my attention right now.

I am considering the Kessil A360. But there are three choices, the X, the WE and the NE. I know the NE is more focused for deeper water. I thought to buy the A360NE, mount it to the left of my tank's center brace and focus it right on my Mag. I have a PAR meter and I am aware of the intensity adjustments that I'll likely need, so not to nuke him. My goal is to give my Mag the light he needs, with minimal light overspill. I'm not interested in lighting the whole tank actually, I am really trying to showcase my Mag while illuminating him with what he needs, and illuminating him with all his glory. So the sides/ends of the tank really don't need light. And I don't have corals or other inverts stashed around the tank. This is really just a Mag and some clownfish tank.

OR.....

Run two A160ws on either side of the center brace, with them pointed towards the center of the tank. Maybe two is better? Can A160ws even be pointed? Or is their spread so much that no matter what I do, I'll get lots of overspill or light everywhere else in the tank, taking away from the center piece?

Who here has run Kessils over their Mags? Thanks to everyone who made it this far in reading my long post.
I have a Mag that is about 4 inches from the surface.....right under an AP9X that is only about another 4 inches above the surface. The Mag seems content and has colored up from being initial bleached about 4 months ago. It has not moved an inch since its initial placement.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question as to which light since the AP9X is not in your choice list.....but is still a Kessil so it probably isn't too different. Have you thought about raising the Mag's position with your aquascaping ? kind of like I did here.

Although my tank is 400 gals....this is the side view that is 38" wide and 30" tall.....not too far off your dimensions.

CRW_4797.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Mag that is about 4 inches from the surface.....right under an AP9X that is only about another 4 inches above the surface. The Mag seems content and has colored up from being initial bleached about 4 months ago. It has not moved an inch since its initial placement.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question as to which light since the AP9X is not in your choice list.....but is still a Kessil so it probably isn't too different.

CRW_4797.jpg
Beautiful. Oh wow, look at those colors. What nem is that at the bottom left?
Your Mag does look quite content perched up there on his rock, looking down and passing judgement on all the other creatures, LOL. Thanks for answering. Is all your light coming from the AP9x? If yes, it is quite a beast and quite a capable light!

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a LTA....also pictured are a green Haddoni and a blue Haddoni in the background. There is also a 400 watt metal halide to the left of the Mag.....but most of the light hitting him is from the Kessil. In total....there are three AP9X's and two 400 MH.....but it is a 400 gal tank. The Mag is mostly lit by the Kessil and a little bit by one halide. The moral I guess is.....it's hard to provide too much light for a Mag.

OP
OP
P

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a LTA....also pictured are a green Haddoni and a blue Haddoni in the background. There is also a 400 watt metal halide to the left of the Mag.....but most of the light hitting him is from the Kessil. In total....there are three AP9X's and two 400 MH.....but it is a 400 gal tank. The Mag is mostly lit by the Kessil and a little bit by one halide. The moral I guess is.....it's hard to provide too much light for a Mag.
Yeah, I'm gathering its hard to give a Mag too much light, but it's stupid easy to not give them enough.

Kobin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Kessil 360 WEs above my 45 gallon. My mag is right in the middle about 3 to 4 inches below the surface with the lights hanging about 12 inches above the surface. The mag hasn't moved and loves staying right in between the two lights at the highest point with good flow.

Before getting my second light, I only had 1 kessil WE right in the center of the tank where my mag stayed. I think either choice is fine as long as there's good flow with a good light source. I would prefer running 2 lights that light up the entire tank with intensity being higher in the middle for the mag. It helps to have a high island for it to be on it as well.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of the Kessils that you propose will be fine. I've used the 350WE and currently have the X with magnifica and they love it.

OP
OP
P

Pinky80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of the Kessils that you propose will be fine. I've used the 350WE and currently have the X with magnifica and they love it.
I once saw a Kessil 350we over a green haddoni. He seemed to like it and at the time, I was impressed with that light as too. I wasn't ready to upgrade yet though, figures. How would you compare the 350we against a 160we? Or is there even a comparison? My instincts say the 350we is still more powerful than the newer 160we.

I went ahead and bought the 360ne and it's on it way. I'm excited. And the 160we's are still on my mind, because they are so cheap now. I'm thinking of using one or two as a supplement later one.

I'm glad to hear success stories with Mags under Kessils. I'm reluctant to pull my 250w metal halide out of the closet at this time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back