Kessil overload or improperly adjusted?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JustinGr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JustinGr

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2023
Messages
23
Reaction score
5
Location
Bedford IN
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 (48x24x24), I have two A360X with the ReefBrite XHO blues on the hanger and an AP9X , all over the tank at about 12-13” above the water.

I have them on 730a ramp up to 35% intensity and back down and off at 830p. It’s 20% color and no Red or Green. So basically blue.

My Apogee Par meter shows 200-275 top of tank and 50-70 at the sand bed.

My sps will do great for a few weeks and then things will bleach or the ends turn brown and then RTN, almost universal except a potato chip coral (P.Cactus) which thrives for 3 years. I can’t keep a torch or frog spawn, they burn up on the sand bed in a week or two. Even mushrooms will retract and wither away in a week or two.

Tank has been running for 3 years, Alk 8.7, Cal 448, Mag 1350, Nitrate is 40 and Phos is .8 to .12. Temp 76, SG is 1.025. I realize outside of pristine but not horrible.

One Jebao SPC -120, two Nero 5, two AI Orbit 4, and two Neptune COR-15 return pumps. Running GFO and Biopellets.

Anyone have any magic setting for these lights? Not sure what else I’m going wrong.

Can’t find anyone that uses these with success locally and not sure what I’m doing.
 
You might try bumping up intensity. That par seems kind of low for what you are trying to keep. Have you consulted with the people you are getting your frags from on what they keep their par at?
 
Your lighting doesn't seem unreasonable to me in terms of PAR levels (I too use Kessil lighting).

Maybe something else going on? (e.g., vibrio bacterial issues, or dino toxins)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new