Kevin's 57 Gallon Rimless Oceanic Illuminata

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally getting back into the hobby. It's been a couple years since I've had a reef tank and I've been in the process of setting this one up for 6-7 months (been real busy and haven't had the time to actually get it up and going until now)

Here is what I have so far:

57 gallon rimless oceanic illuminata
Deep Blue Pro II black/carbon stand

20 long sump with homemade baffles

2 blueline phantom 150watt dimmable led fixtures with remotes and homemade hanging setup

Seaclone 100 skimmer (I know but it came with the tank)

Homemade algae scrubber and light system

Brs diy screen top

Reefkeeper Elite with 3 pc4s, sl1, sl2v2, mlc with 2 moonlights, dual floatswitch bracket kit with 3 switches and an aqualifter for an ato setup, ph and temp probes

KS1000 kalk stirrer

Eheim Jager 300 watt heater

2 jebao wp25s and a jbwave android bluetooth controller (also have the new dual controller that came with the wp25s but don't plan on using it)

Jebao DCT-8000 return pump

About 80 lbs of dry rock

55 lbs of sand (35 fiji pink and 20 bahama oolite)

As for my rodi I have a BRS 4 stage value plus converted to a 5 stage with an aquatec 8800 booster pump and pressure switch

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the hardware on the lights is stainless steel except the "straps" I made out of aluminum flat stock

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got everything up and running... got the new return installed after finding out the quiet one 3000 I was gonna originally use was broke.

Had issues with the new ks1000 kalk stirrer. Every fitting was leaking and there is a clamp that had a nylon screw and nut holding it on. Well they drilled through the whole thing and just had the nut glued on the inside where it wouldnt leak.... it leaked there as well so I took it apart. Removed the glue and siliconed everything real good.... twice

Got the controller set up except I still need to program the kalk stirrer to shut off when my ph is too high... never messed with ph probes before

The lights were kinda a pain to program but I think I finally got them how I want them

Last edited:
OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my tank is slowly starting to cycle... ammonia went from 4ppm to about 1ppm so far. Had a small amount of nitrite the disappeared pretty fast and my nitrates are up to about 20....

I used 2 bottles of biospira before I dosed ammonia so I think thats why I only had a small amount of nitrites

Sand bed is starting to cover with diatoms... not much longer figure couple days max. Probably gonna buy a couple pounds of live rock when I buy my pair of clowns to help seed the dry rock with critters

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I have to leave stand doors open except at night cause the scrubber lights run at night and the tank is in our bedroom. In the morning when I open the doors they are just covered in condensation

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a coralvue 4" smartfan to put inside the stand somewhere in hopes it stops the condensation. .. the stand is cheap and already swelling but was like that when I got it. I added plywood to it as a precaution. At some point in gonna use laminated waterproof mdf to make an identical stand. The waterproof mdf is expensive but awesome. We use it on backsplashes at work on laminated commercial countertops with sinks

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok added a little live rock and some more dry rock (dry went in scrubber chamber in my sump for pods) now im up to about 90lbs

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got my smart fan, magnetic probe holder and my prefilter for my rodi booster pump to keep any sediment out of the pump

OP
OP
kwandrsn

kwandrsn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... bad case of bryopsis but im starting to battle that with kent tech m... almost got my mag to around 1800 probably another day or so then ill keep it there and wait and see

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back