KH and Ph question.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just tested my water and had the following v results that I’m a little nervous about

KH 7
Ph 7.6

These seem good but my nitrate test kit was expired need to get a new one tomorrow and test. I might take a water sample to LFS and have them check it out as well.
Salinity 35
Phosphorus .049
Mg 1440
Ca 440
Should I be worried about the KH and Ph?

Right now it’s just real gulf live rock, a couple Zoa’s, and a few snail's. Live rock does have algae on it along with other sponges and stuff. Tank has only been going for 17 days ammonia and nitrites are at zero tested those already as well. Tank is a 25g lagoon.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just tested my water and had the following v results that I’m a little nervous about

KH 7
Ph 7.6

These seem good but my nitrate test kit was expired need to get a new one tomorrow and test. I might take a water sample to LFS and have them check it out as well.
Salinity 35
Phosphorus .049
Mg 1440
Ca 440
Should I be worried about the KH and Ph?

Right now it’s just real gulf live rock, a couple Zoa’s, and a few snail's. Live rock does have algae on it along with other sponges and stuff. Tank has only been going for 17 days ammonia and nitrites are at zero tested those already as well. Tank is a 25g lagoon.
The tank is less than 3 weeks old. You're not going to have a lot of stability yet. Just do regular water changes, test weekly to get an idea of how the tank is maturing, and enjoy your new adventure :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested. It’s about 2 hours from light out on the tank.
DKh of the ocean is around 7 so I wouldn't worry at all about that. PH seems low, but depending on what you're using to test it, the margin of error for that test, and what your home's CO2 level is, it might be fine. Has everyone been pent up in the house the last few days?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it twice got the same numbers for KH. Recalibrated my Ph meter (Apera PH20 pen) and retested as well.
Well, again, on a tank that's been up less than 3 weeks, my advice is to move forward with regular maintenance and testing, and see how things look in another month or 2.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DKh of the ocean is around 7 so I wouldn't worry at all about that. PH seems low, but depending on what you're using to test it, the margin of error for that test, and what your home's CO2 level is, it might be fine. Has everyone been pent up in the house the last few days?
Pretty much empty house. Last couple days been told cold to open windows. We were all out of the house by 9am and first one home was my wife at 5pm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back