KH DROPPING HELP!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a young tank consuming lots of alk (we get 5 of those a week) and immediately we get responses to brainwash this guy into two parts. I should train a darn parrot to say "use a two part...use a two part".

Alk can dive bomb like bitcoin prices in a young tank due to establishing biology, and if you have SPS alk needs to be kept higher than 7. Preferably 8-10 given how fast it is consumed. Calcium on the other hand might barely be moving. Stop linking the two until there is a lot more SPS. Calcium can likely be maintained with water changes. Ive had 20gal tanks 4-6 months old start eating 2 dKH daily for no reason and then slow down a month later.

Alk needs to be dosed until its in that 8-10 range. I prefer a box of baking soda because its easier to calculate with the online reef calculator and stupid cheap.

What is going to happen is the tank will go through this ugly phase and alk will slow back down.

Also, that looks like blue digita and not very happy. This coral has to have phosphate no lower than .03 in a small tank just like all other montipora and nitrate 5-10. It grows so fast in my 20L I fill 5gal buckets up with it and give it to my local reef shop.

Get that alk up with baking soda and stop worrying about two part dosing.

OP
OP
bherbold8

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a young tank consuming lots of alk (we get 5 of those a week) and immediately we get responses to brainwash this guy into two parts. I should train a darn parrot to say "use a two part...use a two part".

Alk can dive bomb like bitcoin prices in a young tank due to establishing biology, and if you have SPS alk needs to be kept higher than 7. Preferably 8-10 given how fast it is consumed. Calcium on the other hand might barely be moving. Stop linking the two until there is a lot more SPS. Calcium can likely be maintained with water changes. Ive had 20gal tanks 4-6 months old start eating 2 dKH daily for no reason and then slow down a month later.

Alk needs to be dosed until its in that 8-10 range. I prefer a box of baking soda because its easier to calculate with the online reef calculator and stupid cheap.

What is going to happen is the tank will go through this ugly phase and alk will slow back down.

Also, that looks like blue digita and not very happy. This coral has to have phosphate no lower than .03 in a small tank just like all other montipora and nitrate 5-10. It grows so fast in my 20L I fill 5gal buckets up with it and give it to my local reef shop.

I was just using Reefbuilder to raise alk on its own but my calcium also dropped down to 360 a few weeks ago- and that was with weekly 10% wc. I have mostly been using the alkalinity part of b-ionic now and testing every other day.

ive been dealing with undetectable NO3 and po3 for maybe a couple months. I only have two fish but feed 3x a day and dose redsea reef A+B and phyto and can't keep it up.

and now of course I'm dealing w what may be a Dino outbreak because of that. I'm thinking I will need to start dosing nitrate and phosphate , also adding another fish ...thanks for your reply let me know if you have any other insight.

OP
OP
bherbold8

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• F73A318F-B304-4ACC-A028-EE1830CB7925.jpeg
    F73A318F-B304-4ACC-A028-EE1830CB7925.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 28

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back