KH levels

ANDREWNICOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are wanting to start a coral drag tank. All of our levels are good and we tested our KH and it was 12 drops but we can't figure out if this is a good level. Can someone please help

OP
OP
A

ANDREWNICOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew, I'm not clear on what 12 drops means. What test are you usinf? Usually there is a chart that shows conversion between drops and a dKh number.
Its the API kit. It gives us a chart with levels but noone has told us what our levels should be

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are starting a frag tank, you will need a better test kit than the API kit. When you say that all of your levels are good, that really doesn't tell us much. Your dKh should range anywhere from 7-11, depending on your lighting and what your other parameters are. It is also important for your parameters to stay stable. I would recommend investing in a Salifert, Red Sea, or Hanna test kit or a combination of the three before investing in any coral frags.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ANDREWNICOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are starting a frag tank, you will need a better test kit than the API kit. When you say that all of your levels are good, that really doesn't tell us much. Your dKh should range anywhere from 7-11, depending on your lighting and what your other parameters are. It is also important for your parameters to stay stable. I would recommend investing in a Salifert, Red Sea, or Hanna test kit or a combination of the three before investing in any coral frags.
Where do I find any of these 3 tests. All the lfs around where I am sells API.

San Diego Husky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert tests are sold on amazon also and if you have prime even better with no shipping and faster delivery.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see from your other posts that you lost all of your fish. I would order the test kits from BRS and then wait to add coral until you get the issues in your tank sorted out. It will save you money and frustration in the end.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend checking out the 52 weeks of reefing series on BRS and the the ultimate startup guide here on R2R.

The learning curve here is steep and expensive. I did a lot of dumb stuff and have wasted thousands of dollars. Be smarter than me

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API for ALK is good enough.

Nothing wrong with API for monitoring ALK. This guy spent a bunch of time and money doing his analysis of test kits.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558208

]

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API for ALK is good enough.

Nothing wrong with API for monitoring ALK. This guy spent a bunch of time and money doing his analysis of test kits.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558208

]

Even the author admits that API has a bad rap. He states that it's because they are cheap, but I find it hard to believe that so many reefers would avoid a test kit simply because it costs less.

Personally, I think we invest to much into this hobby to try to save a few dollars on a test kit that has a reputation of not being very accurate.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the author admits that API has a bad rap. He states that it's because they are cheap, but I find it hard to believe that so many reefers would avoid a test kit simply because it costs less.

Personally, I think we invest to much into this hobby to try to save a few dollars on a test kit that has a reputation of not being very accurate.
Did you even read all of his test results. API for ALK is as good as any and less money. If you want to spend more go for it.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you even read all of his test results. API for ALK is as good as any and less money. If you want to spend more go for it.

Yes I did. I noticed that the author did not create a known dKh solution, nor did he test accuracy at different ranges, i.e. does API read 10 dKh for a reading of 9.4 to 10.6. If you want to use API, that's your choice. IMO, if I am going to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a coral tank, I'm willing to spend a little extra for a more accurate test kit.

As another example, with API, if the dKh tests at 9, whats to say that the dKh wasn't actually 8.5. The next time you test, it reads 10 dKh. Whats to say that the actual dKh wasn't 10.4. That's a swing of almost 2 dKh though the test only showed a 1 dKh swing. That simply isn't accurate enough for my tastes in an effort to maintain stable water conditions.

Again, to each their own, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did. I noticed that the author did not create a known dKh solution, nor did he test accuracy at different ranges, i.e. does API read 10 dKh for a reading of 9.4 to 10.6. If you want to use API, that's your choice. IMO, if I am going to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a coral tank, I'm willing to spend a little extra for a more accurate test kit.
Instead of bashing the guy who spent time and money on testing, even sending to an independent lab why don't you do some comparative testing of your own? What makes you think your test kit is better just because it costs more? You do realize of course that all test kits are "hobby" grade so about all you can hope for is an estimate.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my coral as a bar for general health of the tank. I use my api to test alk. If it gives me a wild number I redo the test. When I log my numbers the graph says I'm pretty stable.
Point is, as long as you do your tests the same way every time, it's going to give you pretty close to the same results. Each manufacturer may give you a different number on the scale but it should stay close to that number if your tank is stable.
Cheers

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back