Automated testing?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Starting to gather info on which auto tester I should go with. I am mainly focused on Alk. I really like transparency into my reef tank and remote monitoring capabilities. I have thought about the trident as i do run an apex currently. However, I have been reading numerous reviews about constant recalibration and overall inaccuracies. I see a couple other options here in the market. Notably the Mastertronic, Alkatronic, KH Keeper, and KH Director.

From what I understand, the Mastertronic is good but very expensive and difficult to set up, Alkatronic is good, have not heard anything on the KH Keeper, and the KH Director looks very refined and honestly the standalone unit is only $500.

Questions:
- Is Matertronic really that difficult to set up? Is it worth being 2x the price of the trident?
- Is alkatronic much different from KH keeper to allow a $300 price increase?
- Does the KH Director require the GHL dosing unit or can I just use it as a KH monitor? Edit; Did not realize the dosing unit is necessary to feed the director so it is 100% needed

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Starting to gather info on which auto tester I should go with. I am mainly focused on Alk. I really like transparency into my reef tank and remote monitoring capabilities. I have thought about the trident as i do run an apex currently. However, I have been reading numerous reviews about constant recalibration and overall inaccuracies. I see a couple other options here in the market. Notably the Mastertronic, Alkatronic, KH Keeper, and KH Director.

From what I understand, the Mastertronic is good but very expensive and difficult to set up, Alkatronic is good, have not heard anything on the KH Keeper, and the KH Director looks very refined and honestly the standalone unit is only $500.

Questions:
- Is Matertronic really that difficult to set up? Is it worth being 2x the price of the trident?
- Is alkatronic much different from KH keeper to allow a $300 price increase?
- Does the KH Director require the GHL dosing unit or can I just use it as a KH monitor?
I can’t answer your questions. But I’ve had an alkatronic for a few years now and am very happy with it. I probably would not have any auto tester if I didn’t travel.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer your questions. But I’ve had an alkatronic for a few years now and am very happy with it. I probably would not have any auto tester if I didn’t travel.
I have been seeing Alkatronic pop up very often. Seeing this is probably the way

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to use these, do not use their results to drive any decisions. They have too many errors and every test needs to be verified before taking action, IMO. Monitoring instead of controlling, IMO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back