KH plus, correct approach?

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Ok so my reef is 2 months old and it has 3 clown fish and 5 alleni damsels. Yesterday I added a couple of euphyllias and there are more on the way, also I would like to start preparing the tank for some SPS

This are currently my water parameters (I do weekly 10% water changes with sea water):
T: 25.5C
Ca: 420
Mg: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 10
Phospahtes: 0.01
pH: 8.2
KH: 6.2

KH has been low since the beginning so this is my plan, is it the best approach or is there a better one?

1 - Use aquaforest KH plus to raise KH to 7.5, 0.5 increase per day, 3 days in total
2 - Measure consumption for 48h after raising KH
3 - Dose kalkwasser to maintain KH level at 7.5 (and keep pH and Ca levels as well)

thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use baking soda in my top off water. Maybe want to consider switching salt to one with a higher alkalinity. I use coral pro which mixes over 11

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Ok so my reef is 2 months old and it has 3 clown fish and 5 alleni damsels. Yesterday I added a couple of euphyllias and there are more on the way, also I would like to start preparing the tank for some SPS

This are currently my water parameters (I do weekly 10% water changes with sea water):
T: 25.5C
Ca: 420
Mg: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 10
Phospahtes: 0.01
pH: 8.2
KH: 6.2

KH has been low since the beginning so this is my plan, is it the best approach or is there a better one?

1 - Use aquaforest KH plus to raise KH to 7.5, 0.5 increase per day, 3 days in total
2 - Measure consumption for 48h after raising KH
3 - Dose kalkwasser to maintain KH level at 7.5 (and keep pH and Ca levels as well)

thank you!

That seems like a fine plan to me. If you do not yet have the Aquaforest alk supplement, just use baking soda.

Randy

OP
OP
J

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use baking soda in my top off water. Maybe want to consider switching salt to one with a higher alkalinity. I use coral pro which mixes over 11

I use natural sea water so unfortunately changing salt is not a option. In the future if I chance my method I will keep that in mind. Cheers

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use natural sea water so unfortunately changing salt is not a option. In the future if I chance my method I will keep that in mind. Cheers
From what I have seen NSW is often low in a lot of nutrients, so that makes sense.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back