Killer crab?

Lee Aldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I came down from my slumber this morning I find my cleaner shrimp may have been killed while molting. The likely suspect is my blue hermit crab as he was found munching on the poor fella.

Anyone experienced this before is it possible for a hermit to kill a cleaner shrimp??
IMG_4622.jpeg
IMG_4621.jpeg

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have hermit crabs in my tanks unless they are pets. The little red ones with the yellow faces are usually pretty cool but I have had larger crabs catch sleeping fish a couple times so I don't risk it.
Have I had a hermit kill my shrimp before? I can't remember but been doing this since the 90s so everything is a little cloudy in my memory. Would I be surprised if a hermit crab killed my shrimp? Nope, they are jerks.
If they have been housed together for a while and the shrimp had molted multiple times with no problem then I would have doubts.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hermit crabs move in slow motion, its almost impossible for them to catch anything unless its lying there almost dead.

I would not jump to hermit conclusion right away without knowing everything about your tank, age, water parameters, tank mates, etc...

Everyone blames hermits for everything since they are always eating the victim, but thats their job, doesn't mean they did the deed.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the tank to make sure if the shrimp is present. I had one that molted and saw a crab at the molt and the shrimp was still hiding.

OP
OP
Lee Aldo

Lee Aldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys!!
Parameters are all spot on and I have no fish at the mo as I’m going fallow from a velvet issue
Shrimp is usually fine and never any problems when molting.
Could velvet effect shrimp?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys!!
Parameters are all spot on and I have no fish at the mo as I’m going fallow from a velvet issue
Shrimp is usually fine and never any problems when molting.
Could velvet effect shrimp?
No, velvet won’t effect your shrimp. How long have you had your shrimp? They usually have a lifespan of 2-21/2 years. Mine consistently go to the great aquarium in the sky at about 1 1/2 years.

OP
OP
Lee Aldo

Lee Aldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him about 6 months he’s usually fine eating well, molting often. Didn’t think velvet would affect him!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back