Killer hermit crabs?

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2023
Messages
61
Reaction score
64
Location
Central Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, last night, my hermit crabs and Nassarius snails killed(?) My royal gramma?????? I'm not sure but they were finishing off the body. I am not sure if they killed her themselves though. Is that possible? Gramma was healthy and eating and swimming just fine last night. It also slept in a rock hole so I'm not even sure how it ended up on the sand bed. I also have 2 clowns and a firefish left and am worried if they'll be next??? Gramma was the biggest of all thw other fish i havw - about 2.5-3 inches. Last week, one of my cardinals also was killed and eaten by CUC but he wasn't eating and also slept near the sandbed.

Could the CUC be killing for sports now??? Idk what to do. Should I remove them?
 
lol, they get blamed for everything. Think about it, they are so small, so slow, they can't swim.... there's no way they can catch and kill a fish. The fish died of something else and the crab was doing its job.

Its possible it might have killed the nass snail, but I doubt it.
 
I agree. Hermits get a bad rap IMO. A healthy royal gramma would certainly be able to swim away from any threat in our tank. You paid for the hermits to be scavengers and that's exactly what they're doing. Cleaning up your tank.
 
Hi, last night, my hermit crabs and Nassarius snails killed(?) My royal gramma?????? I'm not sure but they were finishing off the body. I am not sure if they killed her themselves though. Is that possible? Gramma was healthy and eating and swimming just fine last night. It also slept in a rock hole so I'm not even sure how it ended up on the sand bed. I also have 2 clowns and a firefish left and am worried if they'll be next??? Gramma was the biggest of all thw other fish i havw - about 2.5-3 inches. Last week, one of my cardinals also was killed and eaten by CUC but he wasn't eating and also slept near the sandbed.

Could the CUC be killing for sports now??? Idk what to do. Should I remove them?
the cuc are doing their job! It's kinda freaky. My dead blenny was being eaten by my hermits and they almost got kicked out. Your gramma was most likely already dead before the cuc came to clean the mess. I hate that hermits get a bad rep, they are really entertaining inverts! hope this helped!
 
lol, they get blamed for everything. Think about it, they are so small, so slow, they can't swim.... there's no way they can catch and kill a fish. The fish died of something else and the crab was doing its job.

Its possible it might have killed the nass snail, but I doubt it.
Thank you! I also seriously doubted they would be able to catch, immobilize, and kill the fish but just wanted to make sure. Poor gramma, I wonder what happened
 
the cuc are doing their job! It's kinda freaky. My dead blenny was being eaten by my hermits and they almost got kicked out. Your gramma was most likely already dead before the cuc came to clean the mess. I hate that hermits get a bad rep, they are really entertaining inverts! hope this helped!
Thank you! Yeah, I seriously doubted they could pull it off, they havent hurt anyone before tho the thank is only 5 months old so i wanted to make sure!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new