"Killing" Dry Rock

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficulty
True there are other factors that you may need to weigh, but these are universal:
  • Dry = difficult, long, uncertain
  • Live = easy, better, more certain
I wouldn't recommend dry in general, but especially not if it's your first tank.

Time
If you're saying time doesn't matter, then what difference does it make whether you spend your money now when you can only get dead rock that you're suspicious of....or if you spend that time saving money for real live rock? (Hitchhikers are not your real worry, BTW.)

Choices
It seems like the option you're considering is a compromise...you're rightly worried about it but you're not totally sure why...and I and others are attempting to dissuading you...but you still seem inclined toward that option.

Certainly do whatever you want, but you might consider the amount of times that dry rock and dinoflagellates are mentioned in the same thread. I can point you to about 5000 posts worth. Then consider the other problems associated with dry rock.

So if you go that route, you have been warned. ;) It's risky. Go slow with your new tank to allow for it – most likely slower than you'll be comfortable going.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back