Killing monti cap

ChrisfromBrick

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2024
Messages
3,563
Reaction score
4,912
Location
Brick, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t like my monti cap taking over my rock work. Does anyone have any hacks on killing it without pulling out the rock and scraping it off? Thanks!

This isn’t just exposed hanging off. It is wrapping around my rocks all encrusted. No bueno
 
Once it is established it's very much a weed like life form that can be difficult to remove. I have one that I have chipped at and scraped but it still comes back. A black out cape might work, but what to make the cape out of? Some folks cover them with 2 part epoxy putty, other folks use calk paste applications. GL
 
I just did this a few weeks ago on almost a dinner plate sizes amount. Just Kalk paste with no flow for 15-30 minutes. It’ll kill it, just is hard to get certain surfaces if they’re at an angle.
 
thanks to you both. I was thinking of the kalk paste thing. Is kalk paste going to jack up my kh?
People say it doesn't but I don't know how that is possible, at least if I tried it I think I would botch the process and kill more than I wanted? I have avoided it for that reason, except for small spot treatments, never a whole cap sized area.
 
Before you use kalk and epoxy putty, use a little brass hammer. There will be less to worry about after that.
 
I had this bubblegum digi overgrowing my acros. After breaking off all the branches I could, I did several rounds of kalk with the flow off. That only worked on the flat surfaces. I used epoxy putty on the vertical parts.

IMG_1494.jpeg
IMG_1623.jpeg
 
that’s funny because i’m hoping to get my bubble gum to really take off. Why not just frag and sell or give away? It was encrusting?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new