OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the damsel make it?

Three stripe and domino damsels become monsters when they get bigger. They are monsters when small

Anyway, 125 for a tank and steel stand is a great deal. Usually the stand alone is that much on sale

Cloudy water for 24 hours says your filtration is not enough

If you got the Noopsyche, that implies you're getting corals later. If so, I would get some real live rock and pull that decoration rock out

Something is wrong with your electrical If it's popping on an amp of power. Get that fixed before buying coral

Jebao gyres or Maxspect Jump gyres are the best deal for flow right now. You will need waterfowl for corals
Yea one of my damsels made it and is doing amazing lol. I didn’t realize how aggressive they were. But hopefully he calms down a bit. Thanks for the reply! The cloudy ness came down and is crystal clear now! I still have yet to find what the power issue is but has not cut off in a bit. Thanks again for the input! Will definitely look into more flow!

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Yesterday one of my hermit crabs molted! I got scared because I thought it was dead! I have a few extra shells in the tank but thinking I might need more. I’m assuming he went into his old shell. Not sure how all of that works out. Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Everything is going well just still waiting for my packages to do a little upgrade of the light situation and rock Situation. I am really thinking about getting a new stand for my aquarium to give me the opportunity for a sump and more space.

I’m going to have to drain most of it to re create my aqua escape anyway so I think this would be the best time to end up doing this. What do you think about this stand? I could end up having a 20 gallon sump underneath.

Also I’ll take any suggestions and advice regarding this! IMG_0731.png
IMG_0730.png
IMG_0732.png

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: My packages are here!!! I have received my BRS RO/DI. And it’s shocking how much you can notice how much less my RODI water nitrites are compared to my tap water!

I do have bad news tho my Goby passed away and not 100% sure why levels were great he started hiding from me and then one day wouldn’t see him at all. Everything else in the tank seems to be doing great!

I have also received my 22 pounds of more dry rock I intend to put together soon, I received my stand for my tank. My NooPsyche light has also arrived, I have placed that on the tank and will upload more pictures tomorrow! I plan on trying to set up my DIY lid tomorrow as well. Not looking forward to that because that will be a hassle! UPDATES TO COME!!

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0941.jpeg
    IMG_0941.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 27

CCiPhantom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

since the stuff I ordered is going to take a bit I decided to do a little thing and got myself a Pink speckled Goby and a tiger pistol shrimp! These were not paired when I got them but they are best buds already! Definitely a cool little pair! They definitely love to disappear had me worried for a bit!
Cool, this is my next add is a goby/pistol to try and pair.

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: We got the new rocks put In the tank and changed around the aquascape.

Also put together the new stand and looks amazing. Currently have a QT set up for future new fish. Things are starting to come together.

I also got a new wave maker please let me know if you think I should change or move it anywhere else. Attached are pictures of overthing. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me

Attachments

• IMG_5221.jpeg
    IMG_5221.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5222.jpeg
    IMG_5222.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 21

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: We got the new rocks put In the tank and changed around the aquascape.

Also put together the new stand and looks amazing. Currently have a QT set up for future new fish. Things are starting to come together.

I also got a new wave maker please let me know if you think I should change or move it anywhere else. Attached are pictures of overthing. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me
The new rock looks great!

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Last weekend and This weekend was a big weekend for me! I decided to get some new friends. Last weekend I decided to go out and get a cleaner shrimp and some more CUC. This weekend I decided to go out and get a few fish! Because my last watchmen goby ended up not making it I decided to get a new Goby for my Pistol Shrimp. I was debating between getting 2 clown fish or 2 Bartlett Anthias to school in my water collum and give my shrimp something to clean! But before I asked my LFS to scoop it out them out for me I noticed they were 80$ each! My girlfriend on the other hand liked the Flame Angel and even after telling her it might peck at future corals, she was still in love. So now we have a Goby (Gibby) and a Flame Angel (Cheeto) in the tank!

Another update is that I tried to put together my Red Sea DIY Mesh Lid but I did not have enough corners so im waiting for more to come in.

I am also deciding on a Sump and I have made a post to get more info about it here SUMP help

Not sure what my next plans will be but I am also thinking about getting a Star Fish sometime soon just not sure which.

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: This past week we lost Cheeto (Flame Angel) Almost a week after we got him, I noticed he wasn't in his normal area of the tank and acting a little weird. I didn't see anything crazy going on with him and the water parameters were great. The next day I noticed his eye was swollen (Popeye disease) and was having a hard time seeing and swimming. I tried to put him in a breeder box and put some MelaFix in the tank, but I think it was too late at this point.

I immediately went to my LFS to get my water tested to make sure my tests were correct, and my results were

ALK - 11 DKH
PH - 7.9
Phosphate - 0.2
Calcium - 422
Magnesium - 1276
Ammonia - 0.05
Nitrite - 0.05
Nitrate - 15
Salinity - 1.024

Looking at this it Matched my tests from home for the most part and nothing stood out to me or the LFS as being the cause to the fish not making it.

I waited a few days and decided to get 2 Antheis and a Caribbean Starfish. They are doing great! And actually, they are getting along with the Damsel!

Yesterday I decided to get a couple of cheap frags that were on sale! These are my first Corals so it's kind of a trial run but so far so good! Hope to get some more soon. I am gonna slow down for a bit and see how everything goes before adding anything else.

I have recieved some stuff for my Sump and will be putting that together this week/weekend! I will keep this updated about that as well!

Here are some pictures!
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4 - Copy.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also preformed my Weekly water change today of 10% but before I did I tested my water parameters and these are my results please let me know if you have any feedback on them and if you think I should adjust anything!

ALK - 11.3 DKH
PH - 7.9
Phosphate - 0.2
Calcium - 382
Magnesium - (Dont have this tester yet)
Ammonia - 0.08
Nitrite - 0.00
Nitrate - 10.8
Salinity - 1.024

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend not adding any more livestock for awhile. Unless you have no problems with then becoming part of your cycle

And if you disregard that recommendation, zoas only are recommended. Cheap ones. Everything in there are your testers right now

They will let you know a lot about your system

Recommend adding an ml of bacteria every day or other day. Get a couple different kinds

Help your biological filter become established

You're going to get green hair algae soon. Prepare for that

Let your system age, get past the GHA stage before adding 80 dollar fish

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this weekend I put together My sump! I'm not the happiest with how the Baffles turned out but I think they will do the trick for a while! I got the baffles on eBay. The Sump is out of a 20 20-gallon high tank to fit exactly in the open area in my stand. The plan is to make the middle compartment a refugium. I ordered a refugium starter kit from algaebarn.

I am using a CS90 HOB Overflow the only issue I'm having with it is now and then it gargles. I have purposely tried to stop the siphon and turn on the return pump to test if a power out happened and there was no overflowing. I am fairly confident in it at the moment. If anyone has tests, I can do to make myself more confident in a HOB Overflow, please let me know!

I used PVC to connect my overflow to my Sump. I am using a bio media cup with bio media along with some aqua mesh as a mechanical filter.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to send them my way!
new 1049.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make your next DIY sump

Using a long 3/8" or 1/2" rod of acrylic can be used to clean up your silicone filets

It can get to where your fingers can not, between baffles

The silicone never really bonds to the acrylic baffles, so the silicone can hold it in place mechanically. Having a little extra is a good thing

Looks good. 20 tall is a good choice for a sump. Was recently thinking it would make a good refugium under my tank. I still have a used Pax Bellum in consideration. The price of new commercial algae reactors is absurd

OP
OP
K

Klewtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make your next DIY sump

Using a long 3/8" rod of acrylic can be used to clean up your silicone filets

It can get to where your fingers can not, between baffles

The silicone never really bonds to the acrylic, so the silicone can hold it in place mechanically

Looks good. 20 tall is a good choice for a sump. Was recently thinking it would make a good refugium under my tank. I still have a used Pax Bellum in consideration. The price of new commercial algae reactors is absurd
Awesome yea thanks for the advice! Yea I went with a refugium because I didn't want to go all out with a protein skimmer yet, and I think just the extra bio media and extra water will already help my tank stable as it is with my small bio load.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to be adding more bio medium, recommended

FYI, premiumaquatics.com has maxspect nano balls on sale and fritz bio domes on clearance

Recommend also adding an ml of each of your bacterias each night until your system matures

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back