Knockoff Brand Option

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live overseas and the cost of shipping in an OEM led light is outrageous (+20% customs fees on top of price). I can easily however order from Aliexpress or Alibaba as I’m in Central Asia.

I‘m looking to start a thread with recommendations including links for good quality vendors selling near equivalents of the following:

1. orphek light bar -
2. Radion LED
3. AI Prime
4. Kessil

Please respond only if you have tested, used, or have working knowledge of one of the above generic options.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used them personally (yet), but the XR30 knockoff, the A8 and A8se, has been discussed a lot here. Also the A7 Kessil clone.

As for bars, I have used PopularGrows, and they will customize any spectrum you want.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out nicrew
This. I have two Nicrew lights, the 30w and the 50w, and I've been very pleased with them. Pretty standard black box lighting with simple blue/white customization.

The 30w has a built in ramp up and ramp down timer, the 50w and higher can connect to the Nicrew dual channel controller, though I just use a simple timer on the outlet. I've also used Nicrew for a handful of freshwater lighting options, they've always been good quality.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I have two Nicrew lights, the 30w and the 50w, and I've been very pleased with them. Pretty standard black box lighting with simple blue/white customization.

The 30w has a built in ramp up and ramp down timer, the 50w and higher can connect to the Nicrew dual channel controller, though I just use a simple timer on the outlet. I've also used Nicrew for a handful of freshwater lighting options, they've always been good quality.
Is that what the timer button does on the controller??! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Ive just been turning them off and on with a kasa strip.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used them personally (yet), but the XR30 knockoff, the A8 and A8se, has been discussed a lot here. Also the A7 Kessil clone.

As for bars, I have used PopularGrows, and they will customize any spectrum you want.
I have yet to see a solid review of the A8 or A8SE - durable? long-lasting? Reliable?

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do the bars have to be suspended a certain level above the tank. Or can I have them a couple cm off the water?

Rule69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered led bars in the OR2 blue plus layout. One bar mounted 8in above the water line and measuring par 8in under water using a seneye par meter netted me 300-350 par directly underneath it.

20230801_123744.jpg 20230801_123758.jpg 20230801_123810.jpg 20230801_123815.jpg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the bars have to be suspended a certain level above the tank. Or can I have them a couple cm off the water?

I don't know how I missed this question. The answer is "it depends".

If the bars have 90 degree lenses they'll need to be mounted higher than if they have 120 degree lenses. Depending on who you get your bars from, both are options if you ask.

...IN GENERAL...

A 90 degree lens will illuminate roughly twice the surface area as the height it's mounted. So if you're trying to cover 24" of tank, the bars will need to be 12" high. 18" surface area = 9" high, etc, etc.

A 120 degree lens gets you lower to the surface while still covering the same area. A 7" height gets you 24" of coverage, and a 5" height gets you 18" of coverage.

The other thing you have to consider is light overlap and color blending. In a strip like the ones we're talking about, you basically have a bunch of individual little spotlights. The higher you mount them, the more overlap (and better blending) you'll get.

I ordered led bars in the OR2 blue plus layout. One bar mounted 8in above the water line and measuring par 8in under water using a seneye par meter netted me 300-350 par directly underneath it.

20230801_123744.jpg 20230801_123758.jpg 20230801_123810.jpg 20230801_123815.jpg

Those look nice! Which manufacturer did you go with? What color layout (which diodes) did you request? Lenses? Controlled or just on/off? I know you said OR2 Blue Plus, but what colors make that mix, and how many of each?

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A7 lights work well.
The app is shaky but it works and most of the time you set it and forget it, occasionally you get the itch to go manual and crank blue only, app works.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back