Known concentration of foraline in Safety Stop - Rapid Fish Quarantine Bath?

Focustronic_Jonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. See my question in headline.
As the protocol is identical to the common high concentration of formalin bath that for instance humble fish present,(bath time 45 min max, heavy aeration ) I assume this product make same concentration of the formalin. Do anyone know ?

/Jonas

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. See my question in headline.
As the protocol is identical to the common high concentration of formalin bath that for instance humble fish present,(bath time 45 min max, heavy aeration ) I assume this product make same concentration of the formalin. Do anyone know ?

/Jonas
I’ve never been able to find out that information.

Here is the thing though - many years ago, I had developed a triage method for shipped in fish that used a standard formalin dip as one part of it. After running done trials, I found the mortality rate was really bad. It turns out giving a fish a formalin bath right after shipment is a bad idea. Fish need to test a few days first.

Formalin has other uses, like for treating brooklynella, but without knowing the concentration, you can’t really use safety stop for that purpose. You might need to contact the company.

Also - done go higher than 167 ppm for 45 minutes with a formalin dip. There are a few people saying 250 ppm - but that is misused information, and was taken from reference that was for cold water marine fish, not tropical.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back