Not sure if this is HLLE. I do not run carbon

IMG_0477.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve seen this on goldfish and carp and often related to water quality as they are messy housekeepers
Assure water is in safe range

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this on goldfish and carp and often related to water quality as they are messy housekeepers
Assure water is in safe range

Just did an ICP test and everything was in range to my knowledge. Anything specific to water quality? Phosphates are .07, nitrates 4.2, no detectable ammonia.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just did an ICP test and everything was in range to my knowledge. Anything specific to water quality? Phosphates are .07, nitrates 4.2, no detectable ammonia.
If testing with reliable test kit, those are good numbers
Verify ph And add aquarium salt or Epsom salt to water at 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is koi Tang, not part of the Carp Family. It doesn’t look like HLLE. I Fed my Yellow Tang, that had HLLE, San Francisco Bay, Saltwater Variety Pack, with Seven Drops of Selcon applied to the frozen cube. After thawing, feed it to fish to cure. Started at everyday, when I saw a notable improvement, went to every other day. Once cured, went to three to four days with the Selcon. There’s a rumor too much Selcon, can give fish Fatty Liver Disease. BTW, Keep the Selcon in the Refrigerator, so it won’t spoil. So I would recommend Selcon, for the best health.

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is koi Tang, not part of the Carp Family. It doesn’t look like HLLE. I Fed my Yellow Tang, that had HLLE, San Francisco Bay, Saltwater Variety Pack, with Seven Drops of Selcon applied to the frozen cube. After thawing, feed it to fish to cure. Started at everyday, when I saw a notable improvement, went to every other day. Once cured, went to three to four days with the Selcon. There’s a rumor too much Selcon, can give fish Fatty Liver Disease. BTW, Keep the Selcon in the Refrigerator, so it won’t spoil. So I would recommend Selcon, for the best health.
Started selcon yesterday. Soak the nori in it so all the tangs get a benefit

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A
Started selcon yesterday. Soak the nori in it so all the tangs get a benefit
rr you referring to koi tang? I gave you instruction for koi goldfish
Selcon is a great immunity booster

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it is HLLE - but if it is, I cured my Emperor Angelfish by feeding it a lot of seaweed. Both are primarily vegitarians and if they don't get the correct nutrition, they can develop HLLE - that's why you don't see HLLE in wild fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is HLLE. I do not run carbon

IMG_0477.jpeg
Zebrasoma tangs show HLLE differently than other tangs - the underlying skin color remains in many instances. You will also see scalloping of the unpaired fins. I don’t see either on this fish. I do see some damage to the pectoral fin, but that would be from some mechanical issue. The vague marks on its snout would also be strike damage, not HLLE.
Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seaweed is a great supplement but does not cure hlle. Its fats and aminos from certain foods that contribute to the healing process

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma tangs show HLLE differently than other tangs - the underlying skin color remains in many instances. You will also see scalloping of the unpaired fins. I don’t see either on this fish. I do see some damage to the pectoral fin, but that would be from some mechanical issue. The vague marks on its snout would also be strike damage, not HLLE.
Jay
What causes HLLE? Is it well understood yet in the community? Or is it still considered a nebulous disease of stress/nutrition?

OP
OP
PaulieReef

PaulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
IMG_0483.jpeg

Here is another picture. Excuse the bad quality

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Soaking the nori in selcon to hopefully provide the days and aminos, but seems this might not be HLLE, at least getting some extra neutrients.
I too do not see HLLE but rather raggy fins from minor nipping and as Jay stated other issue likely such as flukes. Fish also displays light thinness at its belly

Back