Flame Angel White Marks on Head

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Does anyone have any idea what the white spots on my flame angel may be? I didn’t see them recently, so I’m not sure if he ran into something, or if he potentially has HLLE. He has similar spots on the other side of his head, though this one is the most pronounced. Hopefully the picture quality is good enough.

IMG_0554.png IMG_0555.png IMG_0556.png IMG_0557.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,
Does anyone have any idea what the white spots on my flame angel may be? I didn’t see them recently, so I’m not sure if he ran into something, or if he potentially has HLLE. He has similar spots on the other side of his head, though this one is the most pronounced. Hopefully the picture quality is good enough.

IMG_0554.png IMG_0555.png IMG_0556.png IMG_0557.png
The spots looks like injury and/or injury from bite marks. What fish do you have in the tank with it and has fish been scratching or itching?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had aggression from any fish in this tank, besides a starry blenny who is actually in a different tank right now. He is in time out, and has been for a while. In his tank, potential suspects would be a cleaner wrasse, melanarus wrasse, royal gramma, and a blue hippo. However the gramma and hippo are both extremely timid, and the melanarus and cleaner have never messed with another fish (though they do chase each other around from time to time). He is a newer introduction, so I’ve been watching him closely to ensure he isn’t eating coral, and I have seen no itching or aggression.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He adamantly refuses to let me take good pictures but I managed to get these ones here.
IMG_0562.png

Attachments

• IMG_0564.png
    IMG_0564.png
    812.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0565.png
    IMG_0565.png
    770.4 KB · Views: 10

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He adamantly refuses to let me take good pictures but I managed to get these ones here.
IMG_0562.png
Thanks for closer pics. May be HLLE - need to verify on a larger screen. If so, It is often caused by poor water quality, high use of carbon, poor water quality (elevated nitrate and ammonia) and inadequate/poor diet. It is not life threating in any way but offers secondary infection in some cases.
Maintaining GOOD water quality and diet are often the fixes and with severe cases, some healing.
Some foods to feed tang are :
LRS fish frenzy
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for closer pics. May be HLLE - need to verify on a larger screen. If so, It is often caused by poor water quality, high use of carbon, poor water quality (elevated nitrate and ammonia) and inadequate/poor diet. It is not life threating in any way but offers secondary infection in some cases.
Maintaining GOOD water quality and diet are often the fixes and with severe cases, some healing.
Some foods to feed tang are :
LRS fish frenzy
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
Gotcha. I only picked him up a few days ago, and these spots have started since. Could they potentially have shown up that fast due to stress? Also, is this something can be cured, or more something he will always have, and can flare up?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gotcha. I only picked him up a few days ago, and these spots have started since. Could they potentially have shown up that fast due to stress? Also, is this something can be cured, or more something he will always have, and can flare up?
Cure often Good water quality and diet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back