Kole tang vs Lawnmower Blenny….what the heck !

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are mean. I tried two different Koles at different times and both had to be rehomed. They harassed fish, even wrasse, they would harass a certain fish and if that one was removed, they would pick a new fish to harass.

I have a Yellow Tang instead which causes me NO problems with other tank mates.
Yellows are some of the worst tangs I’ve ever had when it comes to aggression whilst most Ctenochaetus (except the true Strigosus, Striatus and Hawaiiensis) have proven to be incredibly docile.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellows are some of the worst tangs I’ve ever had when it comes to aggression whilst most Ctenochaetus (except the true Strigosus, Striatus and Hawaiiensis) have proven to be incredibly docile.

Ya, I am not suggesting a yellow. My suggestion would be screw tangs and get a butterfly.

but my yellow happens to bother no one and both koles were nightmares.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I am not suggesting a yellow. My suggestion would be screw tangs and get a butterfly.
Definitely! If I could have butterflies over tangs I’d take that but instead I have a Ctenochaetus binotatus cohabitating incredibly well with a Chelmon rostratus which is definitely a win for me.
Now just to hunt down another Angel to get back the trio..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! If I could have butterflies over tangs I’d take that but instead I have a Ctenochaetus binotatus cohabitating incredibly well with a Chelmon rostratus which is definitely a win for me.
Now just to hunt down another Angel to get back the trio..

ya my yellow lives with a copperband that was added AFTER and it shouldn't work in a 80g but like I said.. my yellow has been here since before the ban of hawaii and shows no signs of turning mean.

The moment it does... it can find a new home and my wallet can get fatter.

I don't like bully tangs. It stresses me out to watch and I keep a tank to bring me serenity and peace and happy feelings of calm.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice white tail! Those are showstoppers.

Ctenochaetus genus tangs and lawnmower type blennies seem to hate each other, in case that isn't clear. I had a lawnmower and tomini for a few years in a 125. It was just enough room that they could chase and get away, but a smaller tank likely wouldn't have worked.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like bully tangs. It stresses me out to watch and I keep a tank to bring me serenity and peace and happy feelings of calm.
Exactly where I’m at right now ! Was just talking to a bud and was saying…I need a hobby that doesn’t stress me out so much ! ….telling him about my situation.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice white tail! Those are showstoppers.

Ctenochaetus genus tangs and lawnmower type blennies seem to hate each other, in case that isn't clear. I had a lawnmower and tomini for a few years in a 125. It was just enough room that they could chase and get away, but a smaller tank likely wouldn't have worked.
He is a beauty to watch, but not at the expense of my poor Blenny…that guy is a survivor ! He’s the last remaining survivor of a velvet outbreak I had a few years ago that wiped out 70% of my fish ! Feel like I owe him something and this tang ain’t it !

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH, I did forget this was in my 7' 210g tank that they existed together for years. Lots of room. They still had there clashes though. I did not realize yours was a smaller tank. Could be trouble. The blenny my jump. Beware.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input ! Think I’ve decided to get my fish trap out tomorrow and go fishing…provided my LFS will cut me a deal on a wrasse or something else. Don’t see that as a problem though…

This is just stressing me out every time I feed the fish and the poor Blenny has to hid up top on one of my gyres when he sees me coming !

He is the OG of the tank, so he gets preference…the devil has to go !

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d give an update ….

FINALLY caught the devil fish !
69C0597B-3620-4F92-ACD1-32F42B638126.jpeg

Tankmatez to the rescue …. I’ve used this trap about 3 yrs back catching a six line wrasse with success…so broke it back out.

First day I just put it in the tank for the fish to get used to…tang wanted nothing to do with it ! Wrasses we’re curious…left a bit of food in it overnight.

Second day I tried turning off powerheads as those were floating the food out of trap, defeating the purpose. Put a half cube of Mysis and some Nori on a clip…without the magnets…in the bottom of the trap. Then using this syringe that’s attached to a hose for the purpose of injecting food (found it just clogs) I would pump the syringe when the tang got near to float the food around inside the trap to entice him, and within an hour …BAM !!….GOT HIM !

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opposite problem - my lawnmower blenny is a royal jerk to any new fish that are herbivores. It's really annoying, but he's never hurt anyone, just chases sometimes and tries to hover over the seaweed clip and hog it, lol. He was added AFTER my yellow tang, and he even harassed the yellow for a while after I got him and wouldn't let it near the seaweed clip, ugh. (Oh and last night he apparently was offended that my big bablyon snail came up next to him and he attacked it. Such a jerk, seriously!) I used to have a tomini tang that turned into a real ***** when he matured too... moving up to a 4" tank was the only thing that helped with that. Your kole and blenny MAY end up working it out, or you may need to rehome one - and personally I'd rehome the tang before the blenny, even though it's beautiful and that's unfortunate... (Oh I see you did decide to return the tang - good choice). :)

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back