Kole Tang - what is this?

kojosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m new to reef2reef and have had a pretty good several years reefing so far without any serious problems beside aptasia and algae.

However, I noticed today during feeding that my Kole Tang had a white spot on his head. Obviously I’m worried about a serious disease that can spread. My tangs were added 4 years ago, water volume is 200 gallons, no new fish in the last 3 years, no new coral in the last 2 years. I also do run UV and change the bulb every 4-6 months.

Can anyone help? Did he hurt himself on a rock or is there something worse happening? These are photos with a filter to try and capture the actual color.

IMG_5427.jpeg
IMG_5426.jpeg
IMG_5425.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m new to reef2reef and have had a pretty good several years reefing so far without any serious problems beside aptasia and algae.

However, I noticed today during feeding that my Kole Tang had a white spot on his head. Obviously I’m worried about a serious disease that can spread. My tangs were added 4 years ago, water volume is 200 gallons, no new fish in the last 3 years, no new coral in the last 2 years. I also do run UV and change the bulb every 4-6 months.

Can anyone help? Did he hurt himself on a rock or is there something worse happening? These are photos with a filter to try and capture the actual color.

IMG_5427.jpeg
IMG_5426.jpeg
IMG_5425.jpeg
Severe head and facial erosion associated with HLLE which cause pits and flesh missing mainly in tangs, angels and some rabbitfish. It is often caused by poor water quality, high use of carbon, poor water quality (elevated nitrate and ammonia) and inadequate/poor diet. It is not life threating in any way but offers secondary infection in some cases.
Maintaining GOOD water quality and diet are often the fixes and with severe cases, some healing.
Some foods to feed tang are :
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look like head and lateral line erosion, and that would develop gradually over weeks to months. If this showed up suddenly, like you seem to indicate, then an injury is likely cause.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone,

IMG_5427.jpeg
IMG_5426.jpeg
IMG_5425.jpeg
Please post clearer pics under white lights as i viewed on my phone and now see some fin issues also

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the middle picture shows the fin half eaten off and the top and bottom don’t if these were taken that close of each other then you have severe aggression between those tangs and could explain some of the symptoms but doubt all. You have the two top experts already above me to help you. Just thought they may have missed this in the pics.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the middle picture shows the fin half eaten off and the top and bottom don’t if these were taken that close of each other then you have severe aggression between those tangs and could explain some of the symptoms but doubt all. You have the two top experts already above me to help you. Just thought they may have missed this in the pics.
Thanks, I agree, looking at the photos again, the tang has damaged pectoral fins.
@kojosreef
There must be some aggression going on here that needs to be stopped by separating the offending fish. Trouble is, it isn’t always clear who is doing what, and isolating the tang that is getting best on is stressful and can cause additional problems. Best to isolate the aggressor.
One trick is to set your phone up to video the tank and then leave the room. Review the video to see if you can determine the culprit.
Jay

OP
OP
K

kojosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get some images under 100% white light, no blues. I have not seen a lot of aggression and they were all introduced at the same time, but I’m going to monitor that.

IMG_5468.jpeg
IMG_5469.jpeg
IMG_5470.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kojosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add — the Kole Tang is my largest, biggest eater (nori sheets and rods food herbivore), and most active / fast swimmer. Feeding this morning he was still actively eating.

“If this showed up suddenly, like you seem to indicate, then an injury is likely cause.”

Below was taken on the 16th of this month, sorry it’s under blues with no filter.

IMG_5471.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add — the Kole Tang is my largest, biggest eater (nori sheets and rods food herbivore), and most active / fast swimmer. Feeding this morning he was still actively eating.

“If this showed up suddenly, like you seem to indicate, then an injury is likely cause.”

Below was taken on the 16th of this month, sorry it’s under blues with no filter.

IMG_5471.jpeg

The damage to the pectoral fins and the split in the tail fin all line up with tankmate aggression. The head lesion does not, at least not directly, but it could have run into a rock while being chased.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kojosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the replies, if it’s an injury how do I best help? Aggression I will monitor with camera to figure out what is going on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the replies, if it’s an injury how do I best help? Aggression I will monitor with camera to figure out what is going on.
Most injuries either heal or not on their own, depending on severity. Sometimes, secondary bacterial infections occur, in those cases, moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum antibiotic can help.
Jay

OP
OP
K

kojosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most injuries either heal or not on their own, depending on severity. Sometimes, secondary bacterial infections occur, in those cases, moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum antibiotic can help.
Jay
Thank you, I’ll set up my QT and order antibiotics. I really do appreciate the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back