Kole Tang with cloudy pectoral fin

James Becwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater, so any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information or anything.

I have a 75 gallon reef tank. Started it around Jan 1st. Everything is going great, but last Saturday (5 days ago) I bought a really pretty yellow eye kole tang. Of course I didn't quarantine it.

It hid in the rock work for the first hours, but quickly came out and has been eating off the rocks (I have tons of algae being a new tank) and I have been feeding nori also.

This morning I noticed that his left pectoral fin had cloudy ares on them. Hes swimming and eating, but its obvious hes favoring it.

I'm not sure if I should setup a hospital tank or wait and see if it gets better as he gets used to the tank.

In the tank I have a small 1 inch clown, 2, 1 inch chromas, and a lawn mower blenny. I have a cleaner shrimp, and a peppermint shrimp. some soft small coral frags and two small BTAs. 5-ish small hermits a 5 assorted snails, and a small emerald crab.

Water quality is good. No detectable phosphates or nitrates, calcium and alk were good, I have a seneye and temp/ph/NH3 are all perfect.

the spots on the body below are just stuff on the glass, his body doesn't have any spots.

IMGP0151.JPG
IMGP0153.JPG

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
James Becwar

James Becwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the video and kind words. I would have freaked out without the video.

I'm sorry she's sick, but its part of the adventure... Luckily I work right next to my tank so I could keep an eye on her all day. The cloudiness on the fin improved all day. I did the freshwater dip in a five gallon bucket. A surprising amount of stuff fell off, mostly small "dots", but there was a few flukes. She handled it like champ, hid for a few minutes when she got back in the tank and is now out and eating. After the dip, she has a few white spots on her, like freshwater ick, but they fell off after about 15 minutes.

Is there any follow up treatments I should consider? Should I dip my other fish? I'm frankly shocked how much came off her.

Thanks again,
James

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you treat in a QT (preferred) your other fish will need to be treated as well and the display left fallow for 4-weeks.

Prazi-pro is one of the only medications that are considered reef-safe, with caution. The details are in the link provided below, but I’ve personally used prazi in reef tanks with little to no impact.

Praziquantel
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...php?threads/Praziquantel.247598/&share_type=t

OP
OP
James Becwar

James Becwar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. My tang is looking so much better already with just the freshwater dip. The cloudiness is gone and the tang is eating well and very active.
I got the Prazi-pro and metro. I have an extra tank, a fluval 15 gallon flex, but I'm a little worried that the tank may be too small for the following:

Two 1 inch chromis
1 inch clownfish
3 inch kole tang
2 inch lawn mower blenny

Thanks again for all the help. I would have been at a loss of what to do. I thought it was fungus or something.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back