Melanarus damaged pectoral fin

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We received a melanarus wrasse on Thursday (shipped). One of his pectoral fins looked damaged. It looks worse this morning. We have antibiotics and Rally Pro. We’ve used Rally in the past for fin rot and it worked great. I’m not sure this is fin rot. Which would be better to use?
IMG_8066.jpeg
IMG_8065.jpeg
IMG_8062.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We received a melanarus wrasse on Thursday (shipped). One of his pectoral fins looked damaged. It looks worse this morning. We have antibiotics and Rally Pro. We’ve used Rally in the past for fin rot and it worked great. I’m not sure this is fin rot. Which would be better to use?
IMG_8066.jpeg
IMG_8065.jpeg
IMG_8062.jpeg
This looks like fin ray damage and can stem from previous injury or aggression, poor water quality and bacterial. Because of the fraying on the edge, I would recommend considering treatment in a separate tank using seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like minor fin damage. Are you 100% certain it came in with that? I just want to rule out that some fish in our tank didn’t cause the damage after it arrived.

If it is eating well and has no other symptoms, It may well heal on its own.

Jay

OP
OP
TamaraC

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like minor fin damage. Are you 100% certain it came in with that? I just want to rule out that some fish in our tank didn’t cause the damage after it arrived.

If it is eating well and has no other symptoms, It may well heal on its own.

Jay
It came in with barely visible damage. Here’s a photo of him when we received. It didn’t look the way it currently looks until this morning, so it’s possible a tank mate could have added to it.

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 22
  • View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 12

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came in with barely visible damage. Here’s a photo of him when we received. It didn’t look the way it currently looks until this morning, so it’s possible a tank mate could have added to it.
Or, there could be a secondary bacterial infection that is causing it to grow larger.
Moving the fish and treating with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic is one option - but this species doesn’t take well to being moved into small tanks.
Jay

OP
OP
TamaraC

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, there could be a secondary bacterial infection that is causing it to grow larger.
Moving the fish and treating with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic is one option - but this species doesn’t take well to being moved into small tanks.
Jay
Thanks, Jay. I was worried about moving him for that reason. He’s eating/hunting well so I’m going to monitor him in the display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back