Growth looking think on melanarus wrasse!

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my melanarus wrasse for 3 days so far he is doing good eating and very active. I’m worried because it looks like there is a growth under him right behind his gills as well as whitish bump on his head. He also has some lose scales and his pectoral fins are a little shredded. I will add that the fins look like they are doing much better so far. I’m thinking it could be nothing and I def do not want to stress him out especially if it will all heal on it’s own. Thank you for the help!

IMG_9696.png IMG_9695.jpeg IMG_9693.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the wrasse shipped to you or did you get it from a LFS? We need to try and track down if these bumps and knocks happened before you got the fish, or after it’s been in you tank.

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from my lfs when they got him in from their shipment I picked him up before they even unbagged him. I believe the bumps came after being in my tank that’s when I really noticed them. The fins being torn were immediately after introducing so I believe they were from the start and are healing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from my lfs when they got him in from their shipment I picked him up before they even unbagged him. I believe the bumps came after being in my tank that’s when I really noticed them. The fins being torn were immediately after introducing so I believe they were from the start and are healing.
As long as they are healing, I would just observe the fish closely for now. Any treatment is going to require a treatment tank.

Just an FYI - buying fish right from the shipping bag is always really risky, you should get around a 50% discount for that risk.

Jay

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thank you! The LFS told me that I should pick him up right when they get there because I special requested them and they said it would cause more stress to acclimate them to their system and hold him for a week then me pick him up. But if you think I should let them sit at the LFS longer next time I will.
As long as they are healing, I would just observe the fish closely for now. Any treatment is going to require a treatment tank.

Just an FYI - buying fish right from the shipping bag is always really risky, you should get around a 50% discount for that risk.

Jay

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Also I have a tank I could treat him I’m just worried that the stress of moving him could cause more stress than good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have a tank I could treat him I’m just worried that the stress of moving him could cause more stress than good.

Correct - moving a wrasse to a treatment tank will cause additional stress. As long as the fish seems stable and may be healing, I would avoid doing that.

Jay

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - moving a wrasse to a treatment tank will cause additional stress. As long as the fish seems stable and may be healing, I would avoid doing that.

Jay
My melanarus looks worse today idk what it is about the melanarus wrasse I just can’t keep them alive. What should I do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I treat him with if I do?
How is it looking worse? Did it stop eating, is it breathing fast? Is another fish in the tank picking on it?

If you want to move and treat, given the skin damage, you would want to dose with a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Jay

OP
OP
jmoney7

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang yeah it’s breathing heavy when I saw him been hiding the whole day and not eating. And I have metroplex would that work?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back