korallin Calcium reactor

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty much exactly it. If you tune the thing to run 24/7 without a co2 regulator, then this is totally doable. If you have a good tune where there is no co2 buildup in the top, then there is no need for a second chamber and your tank pH will not move hardly at all.

The line coming down from the top that allows the gas to build up it one of the reasons that Korallin is my favorite reactor. I want to know when I have a bad tune so that I can fix it. People who want to use a co2 controller or dump a lot of co2 probably hate it.

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only changed my feed line to pex, also you want to use the included green tubing between your CO² and the reactor as it is CO² proof tubing.

The second chamber you see there is old DI canister I filled with agronite to drip effluent over mostly for off gassing CO² like @jda mentions, it's not absolutely necessary though.

Did you use the existing fittings for the pex or did you get replacements?

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I missed this. I have multiple Korallins. I can probably help if anybody still needs it.

Hey @jda - I am having the worst trouble getting my Eheim pump primed. I’ve tipped the reactor completely on its side, and managed to get it primed once, but it promptly lost prime again. I took the pump off and ran it in a bucket of water, and it seemed to work. My concern is that the pump is failing, and is too weak to push the water. I am considering A) purchasing a new pump of the same type, or B) purchasing a small DC pump that would probably be quieter and would have less trouble being primed. Do you have any insight into the pump not staying primed? Thanks for any input!!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Korallins, the intake is a small tube mounted on the bottom of the reactor lid, its a tube with a cap and holes drilled in the side, the cap is not glued, and if pushed on too much can block the intake holes which will cause issues you describe, the output is tube that goes through to the bottom of the media.

Your other question-
I used slightly different screw /compression non push fit PEX fittings got from a water purification place locally to convert my feed line to accept pex, and even then, it took some effort and teffy tape.

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Korallins, the intake is a small tube mounted on the bottom of the reactor lid, its a tube with a cap and holes drilled in the side, the cap is not glued, and if pushed on too much can block the intake holes which will cause issues you describe, the output is tube that goes through to the bottom of the media.

Your other question-
I used slightly different screw /compression non push fit PEX fittings got from a water purification place locally to convert my feed line to accept pex, and even then, it took some effort and teffy tape.

Thanks for the reply! I looked at my reactor, and the intake is open and clear. I think the pump is bad.... I ordered a very small/compact DC pump to adapt to the reactor. If it works, I’ll let you guys know!

I adapted my intake and output to pex fittings with some adapters I found at Lowe’s, but I am having some issues with leaks. I may have to go back to the drawing board and see what other options are available.

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for future inquirers and those who stumble across this thread during research, I had to tip the reactor COMPLETELY on its side to get the pump to prime. Once primed, it worked fine. It should be mentioned that I exchanged the Eheim pump for a very small DC pump, which is working very well, and is very quiet.

Currently, I have the rector running but without injecting CO2. I have my Kamoer pulling water through the reactor, currently at 20 ml/min as an experiment - Going to go read @jda’s tips for initial setup and will report back!

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty much exactly it. If you tune the thing to run 24/7 without a co2 regulator, then this is totally doable. If you have a good tune where there is no co2 buildup in the top, then there is no need for a second chamber and your tank pH will not move hardly at all.

The line coming down from the top that allows the gas to build up it one of the reasons that Korallin is my favorite reactor. I want to know when I have a bad tune so that I can fix it. People who want to use a co2 controller or dump a lot of co2 probably hate it.

Hey @jda - So after a couple of weeks of doing well, watching my tank’s alk and the alk of my effluent, I get up this morning to find I have accumulated CO2 in the top of the reactor. Is remedying this as simple as opening the top valve? Obviously I’ll also have to assess my current situation and figure out why I’ve accumulated CO2 as well!!

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question - Could my effluent stream be too slow? I’m currently at 35 ml/min.

Edit to add: I think I know where my problem came from. During water change Sunday night, my intake hose got exposed to air unbeknownst to me initially. I thought I got back to it quickly but it may have been sucking in air longer than I realized.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works. If it takes a week or two to fill up with air, then cool, but if it does it every day, then something needs a re-tune.

If your intake puts air into the chamber, then there you go... bingo.

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works. If it takes a week or two to fill up with air, then cool, but if it does it every day, then something needs a re-tune.

When I got home I opened the top valve, pinched the effluent line, and after a few min the reactor filled back up. Back to operation as usual!

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I’ve started to have an issue with CO2 accumulation at the top of the reactor. What’s the fix for this? Is my effluent rate too slow?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same question, my korallin reactor would take a week or two to fill up and cavitate lock the pump, but I'm at 25mL/min and if I up the flow, pH goes up, which seems like I'd need more co2? My internal pH is only like 6.9, so I think upping the pH with more flow is going to dissolve less? It doesn't seem like a straight answer, so if anyone seems to have tips for the tune, please chime in.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want this to sound harsh, but you should only care about output dKh and not chamber pH. Filling up with co2 means that you are wasting it and the tune is not good - it is possible that air is getting it, which is a different deal and needs to be figured out.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back