Koran Angel with suspected hole in head disease

Damion Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to Reef2Reef, and first time posting in a salt water forum. I've kept a salt water tank for years, albeit far from a pro, and probably still a baby in my knowledge level. I have a 100 gallon (non-reef tank) with the system 2 filtration built into the back of the tank, and I also have a 25 Watt UV Sterilizer. For the past 6 years I managed to keep an Imperial Angel from juvenile through adult and though she had bad scarring from hole in head, she did manage to make it until this past Christmas. About 2.5 months ago I purchased a large juvenile Koran Angel (about 3.5 inches). She immediately got ick bad, but Copper Safe reversed it within a few days. I do not have a quartine tank running or available (I know - not recommended), so I just have to treat the whole tank (no inverts so not worried about the copper). Anyway, about 2 weeks ago, the Koran started developing hole in head I believe and has progressed quite rapidly. Without a hospital tank, any suggestions on what to do to halt and hopefully reverse the process? See attached pics. I'm limited in what's available to me locally by way of only a single Petco that carries very little. Appreciate any advice you can give me.

20180410_065635.jpg

20180414_102001.jpg

20180414_102009.jpg

20180414_102021.jpg

20180414_102038.jpg

20180414_102108.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Here's Humblefish's treatment advisory for HLLE. In addition, I like to use lots of varied frozen food cube. Take one of each, mix a bit together in a tupperware. Add some Zoecon. It's a vitamin specifically for HLLE on angels and butteryflies. It will stay good in your fridge for several days. Try using nori that is dark purple for higher vitamin content.
Beautiful fish.

Head & Lateral Line Erosion "HLLE":

Symptoms - HLLE literally looks as though the skin is rotting or peeling off the fish. Affected areas usually include the face and lateral line, and may be white in color.

Treatment options - This is more of a condition than an actual disease. Since no one can agree on the exact cause, all you can do is address all of the following theories regarding HLLE:

1) Stray voltage - Use a titanium ground probe & test your tank for stray voltage.
2) Running carbon - Don’t use it, or use only premium grade carbon.
3) Nutritional deficiency - Feed high quality nutritional foods. Some have had success reversing the effects of HLLE by soaking food in “fish vitamins” and also feeding nori.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably HLLE as diagnosed by @Big G

True "Hole in head" is caused by Hexamita, a genus of parasitic diplomonads (intestinal worms). These worms are different because they eventually migrate to the sensory pores on the head where they cause the surrounding tissue to decay. However, a fish with Hexamita should still have white stringy poop associated with all internal parasitic infections.

OP
OP
Damion Clark

Damion Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Any help you can give on finding a brand of dark purple nori is appreciated. They don't sell it at Petco here, and I can't find it on ebay or Amazon. Green algae is easily had but not purple.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 48 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back