KP Aquatics Live Rock Review 2020

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello REEF2REEF,

When building my system I was constantly looking for reviews and research around using Live Rock and found a lot of resources here on the form. What helped me choose my vendor and plan of attack the best was the feedback from folks on the forum and seeing copious amounts of pictures. In an effort to give back, I've decided to put together a review thread separate from my build thread where I can document my experience over with KP Aquatics, specifically their Aquacultured uncured live rock shipped in water. If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll move it to the correct location :).

Some baseline knowledge about my tank:
  • 75 gallon DT with 20 long sump
  • Triton Method design for sump (bare bottom fuge first / Skimmer / return)
  • 35 lbs of dry rock / 40lbs of live
  • Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
My first post is going to mostly be a cut and paste from my build thread, but my plan is to update this thread with the following:
  1. My overall impression at the time of posting
  2. Cycling
  3. Coraline Algae coverage / coloration
  4. Hitchhikers
  5. Photos of rocks as they mature
  6. Any additional updates about the rocks specifically
I plan to keep this going for at least the first 90 days the rocks are in my tank, so I'll most likely conclude my updates early 2021 as by that point, I should be adding fish, corals, thus shifting my focus away from the rock and its progress. I will also be 'feeding' my rock periodically to keep the various things living within it alive.

10/9 update:

Not a whole lot to update other than the fact that after about a month I felt comfortable adding some easy fish and coral to the tank. The stability of the biofilter is amazing - there were a couple nights that I threw a whole mysis shrimp cube in to feed the various critters and not only did I not find any ruminants the following day (I do not run filter socks so it's all getting consumed somewhere) but I never saw any Ammonia spikes or anything. The speed at which the system leveled out is nuts - I'm cautiously adding coral at this point but feel really confident that everything's in a good spot to move forward with stocking.

I can say whole heartedly that going with live rock was 100% worth the additional cost and risk of baddies. I've yet to find anything remarkably concerning, and everything I did find is easily manageable (threw a hawk fish in and haven't seen the mantis since). The fact that my tank was established considerably faster than going dry rock is amazing.

I'll admit something here that I will probably get some flack for, but I've only done ONE water change since setting up the tank. I never had any Nitrate or real ammonia spike that would require a water change. I only did it cause I felt like I had to. I attribute to the wet shipping method I chose, and in retrospect it was 100% worth the extra cost. I could have probably introduced fish and coral during week two and been perfectly fine.

Speaking of water chemistry, the rock absolutely sucked up alkalinity. I started testing towards the end of the month and realized that my DKH went from 12 ->7. I attribute that to the corraline algae, which is a testament to how mature the system was right 'outta the box'

Something I absolutely want to call out that can't be understated - I never got any meaningful algae growth on any of the live rock. My dead rock required a rip / clean but my KP rock didn't need anything. I've been feeding heavy ever since I introduced my fish to get my nitrates & phosphates up, and not a single bit of any algae has shown up since introducing the CUC (on the LR). If I were ever to start another tank and required more rock, I'd go 100% live and introduce a CUC at the end of the first week, I'd put money on that approach yielding 0 visible algae.

9/1/20

First impression of the rock and overall shopping experience would be a 9.5/10. The KP aquatics team were very helpful and the rock arrived in very good shape. It appears the overall ship time for the wet method is around 16 hours. The box was dropped off at the airport the night before at 6:00 pm and I picked them up from the airport at 10:30 am (I am in Baltimore FYI). There was very minimal die off (only found two dead starfish). The only reason why I knocked off a half a point here, is they used paper in the bags with the rocks. I didn't anticipate this or know that this was their intention. Given this is a new tank I put the rocks directly into my DT, and it was an absolute pain to remove the paper without some kind of bucket to rinse them in (had to throw this together last minute). I think there may be a better way to ship, and I'd gladly take a little die off in exchange for the lack of the paper in the bag.

Cycling
(readings taken on day 9/2/20)
Ammonia .5ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Coraline
Really impressed here, lots of interesting colors (oranges / reds / purples) including some pictures below
IMG-8066.jpg
IMG-8074.jpg
IMG-8076.jpg
IMG-8077.jpg

Hitchhikers
I don't have any great pictures of the critters I got in my rocks, but what I've seen so far:

Good:
3 Pencil urchins
6+ Brittle starfish of various colors and sizes
1 snail (unidentified)
2 Featherdusters (watch end of video uploaded below)
Various Macro Algae
Various sponges

Bad:
1 Red crab (unidentified)
1 black Mantis shrimp

Rock pics

Going to just upload a video here as it's easier to get an idea of what everything looks like this way, at the end you can see the big feather dusters that came on the rock (probably what I'm most excited about).

IMG-8069.jpg IMG-8072.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 10lbs last week and 20 more today. Today's batch, the 20 pounds had multiple brittle stars, most of those made it. In the paper wrapped around the rock I found multiple pistol shrimp and tiny crabs, I kept every one of those and put them in my sump. All and all the rock looked excellent, great shape. The 10 pound batch took less than a week to cure.

Communication with this company via email is responsive, the rock looks great and curing time is quick. I am very happy I can get this quality of rock still today.

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you ordered the rock shipped in water did you also have to include the $8 addition to cart for shipping in water? Does the price change on your actual card charge? Philipp told me it'd be 25$ to ship 10 lbs in water. I emailed to ask how to place that order and haven't heard back yet.

I emailed twice after he asked for an idea of the size of rocks I was looking for and the water shipping question and haven't heard from him in a week.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you ordered the rock shipped in water did you also have to include the $8 addition to cart for shipping in water? Does the price change on your actual card charge? Philipp told me it'd be 25$ to ship 10 lbs in water. I emailed to ask how to place that order and haven't heard back yet.

I emailed twice after he asked for an idea of the size of rocks I was looking for and the water shipping question and haven't heard from him in a week.

If you are asking me, I did not have mine shipped in water. Mine had some water in the bottom. I still had little die off, maybe 3 water changes and curing took about 5 days. I would not bother with the water, I had very little die off.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to OP who did have his shipped in water. Thats nice to hear cycled in 5 days. Can save some cash i suppose on the delivery. My goal was to keep it in the best biodiverse status as it came originally since my dry startup tank has unstable algae problems I wanted the best I could get.

Edit: also if i could put it directly in DT that way, but sounds like OP still has some ammonia despite water shipped.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red crab is probably mithrax/emerald crab. Potentially a problem for tiny slow fish when it grows to full size, but some people buy them on purpose to eat algae. Mantis shrimp, if you can get it out alive (try a bottle trap), you might be able to sell! People like those.

That's some really nice-looking stuff. Good to know, and thank you for the clear thread title! That'll help this come up in searches for people to see.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red crab is probably mithrax/emerald crab. Potentially a problem for tiny slow fish when it grows to full size, but some people buy them on purpose to eat algae. Mantis shrimp, if you can get it out alive (try a bottle trap), you might be able to sell! People like those.

That's some really nice-looking stuff. Good to know, and thank you for the clear thread title! That'll help this come up in searches for people to see.
Not exactly the type of pistol shrimp you can buy.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People like mantis shrimps other than the peacock mantises. If you catch it alive, offer it to anyone who'll take it, just in case someone wants it. With all the people using dry rock nowadays, it's harder for people to find a mantis if they want to keep some.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So my order of 40lbs was at 8 per pound. I had to pay shipping at the airport (which actually was only about $70)

If you are asking me, I did not have mine shipped in water. Mine had some water in the bottom. I still had little die off, maybe 3 water changes and curing took about 5 days. I would not bother with the water, I had very little die off.

I chose to do the water shipping because I wanted the full experience - I realize that I probably ended up overdoing it, but it is probably the only time I'll ever order Live Rock from KP unless I end up getting a larger tank at some point.

No to OP who did have his shipped in water. Thats nice to hear cycled in 5 days. Can save some cash i suppose on the delivery. My goal was to keep it in the best biodiverse status as it came originally since my dry startup tank has unstable algae problems I wanted the best I could get.

Edit: also if i could put it directly in DT that way, but sounds like OP still has some ammonia despite water shipped.

Yeah I was surprised to see any ammonia in the water today however I don't think it's possible to completely avoid it even shipped in water. I'm going to test twice a day to see when the cycle completes. The water that it was shipped in was also 1.040 specific gravity which surprised me so I think the shock of dropping the rocks into 1.026 may have created a mini cycle.

Last edited:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you guys! Anyone know the species of the little crabs that come on the KP aquatics rock? Things I am trying to ID that come on the rock are the starfish, crabs and pistol shrimp. The pistol shrimps are tiny, some are white and some are red. Some of the pistol shrimp even seemed to have two colors but not patterned. I do not think the pistol shrimp pose any real threat to the tank, but risht now they are banished to the sump.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question for you guys! Anyone know the species of the little crabs that come on the KP aquatics rock? Things I am trying to ID that come on the rock are the starfish, crabs and pistol shrimp. The pistol shrimps are tiny, some are white and some are red. Some of the pistol shrimp even seemed to have two colors but not patterned. I do not think the pistol shrimp pose any real threat to the tank, but risht now they are banished to the sump.
Can you post pics?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, I had really high ammonia this first day after getting the 20 pounds. Now I am not curing it in a lot of water, just enough to cover the top, makes water changes easier. But the ammonia was really high, this follows exactly what happened with the last batch but it came down really quick.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Pistol Shrimp, I found one scurrying around last night when the tank lights were off, so add that to the hitchhicker list.

Checking in on the cycle progress:

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 0

It's encouraging to see the Ammonia isn't increasing, hopefully I start to pick up some Nitrite / Nitrate shortly.

Also an update on the Coraline Algae - it appears to be bleaching out a bit, probably getting accustomed to my lights. I'll update and post another video at the end of the week to see if it's just a short term shock or a long term loss.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speaking of Pistol Shrimp, I found one scurrying around last night when the tank lights were off, so add that to the hitchhicker list.

Checking in on the cycle progress:

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 0
NItrate: 0

It's encouraging to see the Ammonia isn't increasing, hopefully I start to pick up some Nitrite / Nitrate shortly.

Also an update on the Coraline Algae - it appears to be bleaching out a bit, probably getting accustomed to my lights. I'll update and post another video at the end of the week to see if it's just a short term shock or a long term loss.

See I like all the crazy stuff you get on live rock. I have found very little bad in live rock over the years. The main thing was a few crabs and mantis shrimp all which are easy to catch. I usually quarantine my rock making it easier to catch stuff too..

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I like all the crazy stuff you get on live rock. I have found very little bad in live rock over the years. The main thing was a few crabs and mantis shrimp all which are easy to catch. I usually quarantine my rock making it easier to catch stuff too..

I too, don’t remember any hitchhiker that was a HUGE pain to deal with, back in the day. I don’t remember why dry rock became so popular, other than the price.

Back