KP Aquatics Overnight Hitchhikers

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know whatever you can identify!
IMG_4924.jpeg

Link to videos of live rock and hitchhikers:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10WzHBIdehdeJpcxtH_1vltySyuzQxTyt

Last edited:
OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see there are more pics on the Google drive link. Those pics/videos are hard to see though.
I realize now that they are blurry unless you actually download them to your phone or pc… will post better pics here later

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob. Just an fyi, KPA rock is awesome. I got over 300 pounds of their premium shipped in water. 0 die off, ammonia, Dino’s, GHA, uglies, etc.
For hitchhikers, dips in hi salinity water will help root them out. I just kept my tank empty for a couple of months and grabbed and removed most that I didn’t want in there during that time. Nigh time is fun with a flashlight.

OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob. Just an fyi, KPA rock is awesome. I got over 300 pounds of their premium shipped in water. 0 die off, ammonia, Dino’s, GHA, uglies, etc.
For hitchhikers, dips in hi salinity water will help root them out. I just kept my tank empty for a couple of months and grabbed and removed most that I didn’t want in there during that time. Nigh time is fun with a flashlight.
Very happy with the product. I got 15 lbs to start my IM 40L Nuvo. I’m going to add some Caribsea shapes in there as well when I have a chance to do a quick aquascape, nothing crazy. Going for minimalist.

Right now the 15lb is inside a 10 gal tank because I’m not fully ready to put the 40gal up yet. Finishing up quarantine on my old tank and heading out for tournaments the next two weekends. I plan to keep the live rock by itself for a couple months as well.

So far zero ammonia or die off. Rock came in fresh ocean water with zero die off smell.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with the product. I got 15 lbs to start my IM 40L Nuvo. I’m going to add some Caribsea shapes in there as well when I have a chance to do a quick aquascape, nothing crazy. Going for minimalist.

Right now the 15lb is inside a 10 gal tank because I’m not fully ready to put the 40gal up yet. Finishing up quarantine on my old tank and heading out for tournaments the next two weekends. I plan to keep the live rock by itself for a couple months as well.

So far zero ammonia or die off. Rock came in fresh ocean water with zero die off smell.
Nice, make sure to set up a build thread for your tank! Here's my IM 40L AIO
PXL_20240307_003625485.jpg

OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, make sure to set up a build thread for your tank! Here's my IM 40L AIO
PXL_20240307_003625485.jpg

Looks awesome, shoot me the link to your thread - my son and myself are excited to put ours up but being patient as the nano was riddled with ich and is now a QT tank.

He is also a future NHL first round draft pick (as all youth hockey parents think their kid is) so we have a couple of out of state tournaments coming up this month.

Until then we'll keep the rock isolated. When we get back the QT will be ready for observation and we will put the 40L up and start transferring rock into it and scaping. I plan to keep fish out as long as we can handle it.

OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4950.jpeg

What is this meaty thing in the top left?

Also a couple little bubble algae spots in pics below. Will probably just remove the rock and get it out. Anyone know the best method for removing it by hand when it’s in a little cave like that? I plan to just pull the rock out and remove with a tweezer and exacto knife then rinse the rock.

Looking to identify the crab. Seems like most crabs are not reef safe. Pic is kind of blurry but he doesn't like light and shoots back inside the rock as soon as the flash goes off.

Anything else anyone can identify besides the sponge is greatly appreciated. Hoping there's not too much I need to remove.

BTW, the other crabs in the container that are in the brittle star video are dead.

IMG_4949.jpeg IMG_4948.jpeg IMG_4938.png

Attachments

• IMG_4925.mov
    18.4 MB
Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this meaty thing in the top left?
With blob-esque critters like this, pics of it in the water are best; that said, this has a number of visible holes (siphons) in the pic, so it's either a sponge or colonial tunicate - either one should be harmless.
Looking to identify the crab.
Seems to be a Mithracid species of some variety - should be either reef-safe or reef-safe with caution (so probably a keeper, but may cause some issues at some point).
Anything else anyone can identify besides the sponge is greatly appreciated.
I see a coral (not sure what kind - maybe a Porites or Orbicella?), a few different kinds of sponges, and at least two kinds of macroalgae (possibly Dictyota, Sargassum, and - if I'm not wrong in thinking I see a couple of long and skinny bubbles - a green algae like Lychaete or similar).

OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With blob-esque critters like this, pics of it in the water are best; that said, this has a number of visible holes (siphons) in the pic, so it's either a sponge or colonial tunicate - either one should be harmless.

Seems to be a Mithracid species of some variety - should be either reef-safe or reef-safe with caution (so probably a keeper, but may cause some issues at some point).

I see a coral (not sure what kind - maybe a Porites or Orbicella?), a few different kinds of sponges, and at least two kinds of macroalgae (possibly Dictyota, Sargassum, and - if I'm not wrong in thinking I see a couple of long and skinny bubbles - a green algae like Lychaete or similar).

Thanks for the input - I took off about 5 pieces of bubble algae today. Hoping if there’s anymore the couple of crabs will take care of it. Glad they are (hopefully) reef safe!

OP
OP
highpoint

highpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: As of last night (about 24 hrs ago) I noticed the ammonia starting to rise. Seems to have leveled at a less than alarming rate. This is where it’s at now:

IMG_4967.jpeg

Just added a small bottle of Dr Tim’s in (30ml) as we are still at zero for both nitrite and nitrate.

Better pic of the tank:

IMG_4969.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back