Tubes with Green Florescent Top Edge

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some live rock from KP Aquatics. Can someone please help me identify what these tube like structures are? The tip of the tube is florescent green (three in middle of the picture)
IMG_3669.jpeg
. Are these vermitid snails or something else?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. Could also be a tube worm. Easier to ID under white lights. Does anything come out of the tube?

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the same area under white light. I have not seen anything come out of the tubes yet. When I removed some a few weeks ago they were hard but fibrous similar to the outside of a plant. Not sure if the texture would change if I let them grow larger.

IMG_3670.jpeg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fibrous suggests tube worm. Is the tube rigid or flexible? Vermitid shells are more like glass. Kind of have the consistency of peanut brittle but much sharper, and their shells are rigid. But if it was a worm the fan should be coming out, so it might also be dead. If a big net of mucus comes out when you feed the tank it's a vermitid.

So in the picture, on the left, I'd associate the grey with pale 'lips' with a tube worm. But on the right, the brown tube, looks more vermitidy.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought would be hydroids (or potentially polyp stage jellyfish), as some colonial hydroid species fluoresce similar to this.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fibrous suggests tube worm. Is the tube rigid or flexible? Vermitid shells are more like glass. Kind of have the consistency of peanut brittle but much sharper, and their shells are rigid. But if it was a worm the fan should be coming out, so it might also be dead. If a big net of mucus comes out when you feed the tank it's a vermitid.

So in the picture, on the left, I'd associate the grey with pale 'lips' with a tube worm. But on the right, the brown tube, looks more vermitidy.
The tube was flexible when I removed some with a small metal scraper and some by filling it with my fingers. I have not seen the tubes expel any sort of mucus during feeding (I was watching for that specifically today when I fed the tank mysis + Benepets). Maybe I will let them grow for a bit and see what happens. I removed all I could find a few weeks ago but they seem to be back on this rock now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids with a tube?
Or jellyfish polyps, yeah - the clearest examples I know at the moment:
Edit: Just to add, these may not be tubes at all in a traditional sense - it may just be the hydroid's flesh.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be tube worms but pics are very hard to work with. Can you post a you tube video?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back