Tubes with Green Florescent Top Edge

  • Thread starter Thread starter slingfox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

slingfox

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2023
Messages
3,175
Reaction score
3,195
Location
Northern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought some live rock from KP Aquatics. Can someone please help me identify what these tube like structures are? The tip of the tube is florescent green (three in middle of the picture)
IMG_3669.jpeg
. Are these vermitid snails or something else?
 
Could be. Could also be a tube worm. Easier to ID under white lights. Does anything come out of the tube?
 
Here is the same area under white light. I have not seen anything come out of the tubes yet. When I removed some a few weeks ago they were hard but fibrous similar to the outside of a plant. Not sure if the texture would change if I let them grow larger.

IMG_3670.jpeg
 
Fibrous suggests tube worm. Is the tube rigid or flexible? Vermitid shells are more like glass. Kind of have the consistency of peanut brittle but much sharper, and their shells are rigid. But if it was a worm the fan should be coming out, so it might also be dead. If a big net of mucus comes out when you feed the tank it's a vermitid.

So in the picture, on the left, I'd associate the grey with pale 'lips' with a tube worm. But on the right, the brown tube, looks more vermitidy.
 
My first thought would be hydroids (or potentially polyp stage jellyfish), as some colonial hydroid species fluoresce similar to this.
 
Fibrous suggests tube worm. Is the tube rigid or flexible? Vermitid shells are more like glass. Kind of have the consistency of peanut brittle but much sharper, and their shells are rigid. But if it was a worm the fan should be coming out, so it might also be dead. If a big net of mucus comes out when you feed the tank it's a vermitid.

So in the picture, on the left, I'd associate the grey with pale 'lips' with a tube worm. But on the right, the brown tube, looks more vermitidy.
The tube was flexible when I removed some with a small metal scraper and some by filling it with my fingers. I have not seen the tubes expel any sort of mucus during feeding (I was watching for that specifically today when I fed the tank mysis + Benepets). Maybe I will let them grow for a bit and see what happens. I removed all I could find a few weeks ago but they seem to be back on this rock now.
 
May be tube worms but pics are very hard to work with. Can you post a you tube video?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new