OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see some eye candy! The hardcore reefers gravitate towards SPS. They do it because it is hard. lol
I’ve always wanted to have an SPS tank. I’ve tried it multiple times but life always got in the way. The last attempt (failure) was more so me getting my feet wet again in the hobby after some time away

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays the day! Here’s a sneak peak at one of the corals I’ll be adding:

38FE4119-2402-4F6F-A262-1E74CAB7A99B.png

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple of pics I took of the new additions. I also picked up a Flame of Udon Tenuis for $1 but that’s in my other tank.

B868E56F-828E-4AE4-8CEE-893647FD5C52.jpeg
DB3EF567-8D1D-4A41-950D-53180572401F.jpeg
EBDFCFD2-A35F-4E3B-9D16-EB5CBDA84F29.jpeg
2D4FE2CE-9B9E-4E3B-B098-EC20EE1745F7.jpeg

The star of the show is the Bangerang Alveopora which sadly I couldn’t get a good picture of

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ready to throw in the towel with the bubble algae. I think over the next month or two I’m going to begin breaking the tank down and restart it. Some of the coral will be transferred into a different tank so long as it’s algae free and the rest I’ll be selling or trading in.

I do plan on getting this tank back up and running fairly quick but I don’t think I’ll do a full blown reef. I think I’ll have a few nems and gorgs and focus on fish. Really sad it’s come to this because the tank was coming along nicely but I can’t find a cure for the bubble algae

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well todays the day. After work I’m draining it and cleaning everything out. Tomorrow I’ll be starting getting new rock and sand to start fresh. It’s going to be a much simpler tank with zero hard corals. My plan is eventually to upgrade to something in the 40-60 gallon range and have more of a focus on fish. I do feel bad tossing some of the coral but it’s riddled with bubble algae and aiptasia. I just don’t want to risk it

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cleaned and ready for some new sand and rock. Slipped and fell off the second last step on the stairs yesterday with a bucket full of water. Amazingly I only spilled about a gallon of water.

Also decide my next tank probably won’t be a peninsula. Wish I had the funds ready to upgrade right now but I’m thinking maybe in the spring.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve settled on the new aquascape. This has me wishing I was trying SPS again I think this should give me some room for a nem, my rock flowers, a few gorgs and a couple of leathers

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GL with the re-do, looks good so far. Did you keep any of the coral you had? I get your frustration, bubble algae does suck, but I think you probably could've gotten the upper hand on it. I have some in my tank and when I see it I scrape it off right away (whether I pop them or not). I know most would say this is a no no, but I've never had an issue with it spreading as some would say. It could be that I use filter socks and UV sterilization, but I can't say for sure. BTW, what is the coral in the photo in your post #23? Is that a paly or zoa? I ask because I was sent a freebie from an order I placed and it looks exactly like that photo, but it never came with a name. Anyway, like I said, the re-do is looking good, now start stocking that thing!! Oh, and if your anything like me, you won't be able to stay away from at least some SPS for long. Even if it's just a couple hardier pieces. Just something I gotta have!!

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GL with the re-do, looks good so far. Did you keep any of the coral you had? I get your frustration, bubble algae does suck, but I think you probably could've gotten the upper hand on it. I have some in my tank and when I see it I scrape it off right away (whether I pop them or not). I know most would say this is a no no, but I've never had an issue with it spreading as some would say. It could be that I use filter socks and UV sterilization, but I can't say for sure. BTW, what is the coral in the photo in your post #23? Is that a paly or zoa? I ask because I was sent a freebie from an order I placed and it looks exactly like that photo, but it never came with a name. Anyway, like I said, the re-do is looking good, now start stocking that thing!!
Thanks! The bubble algae was starting to subside but there were so many clusters in crevices and the aiptasia was getting out of control. I also wanted to do a thinner sand bed to make nutrient export easier. I decided it was worth the cost to restart the tank. Some of the coral I sold, some had to get tossed and the rest I still have. Luckily the amount I had to toss was very minimal. I do have 3 fish back in the tank along with the nems and some of the coral. I have to work on placement later today and transferring between tanks then I’ll post some pics. This tank is going to have minimal coral I think.

As for post #23 could you clarify which picture? I think you’re referring to the laser lemons (zoa) in the first pic but I just want to be sure!

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it was the first pic. Laser lemon zoas, like I said, they were sent as a freebie and started to take off like crazy, so now I have them in the back corner all by themselves trying to decide what to do with them.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it was the first pic. Laser lemon zoas, like I said, they were sent as a freebie and started to take off like crazy, so now I have them in the back corner all by themselves trying to decide what to do with them.
They’re cool for sure! I ended up selling mine because I didn’t have space for them in my other tank and I probably won’t have any zoas in this tank

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a busy week last week but I’ve finally had time to take a couple of pictures. I’ll probably add 1 or 2 more fish but haven’t decided what I’d like yet. I am REALLY loving this aquascape.

1AF6F195-3D03-4F18-B0AC-AEF093C8A5BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 41D1B315-48A2-4F3A-B347-E692A95C1194.jpeg
    41D1B315-48A2-4F3A-B347-E692A95C1194.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 8

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back