Lack of Bacteria and tank crash

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My tank is currently 7 months old. I believe I’m another victim to the lack of beneficial bacteria from starting from dry rock (real reef rock). Corals did amazing and grew like crazy then I hit a brick wall. Corals started fading and the growth was next to none. PE went way down. Parameters were spot on and consistent.

90 gallon tank with 60 gallon attached frag tank
3x kessil 360x with aquatic life T5 hybrid
2x mp40s (65% reef crest)
Tunze wavebox (25%)

Alk- 8.0
Ca- 420-450
Mg- 1400
Ph- 8-8.3
Nitrate- 5-10
Phosphate- 0.03-.09

After watching a video where mike p. Stated a similar situation with one of his tanks he added cured liverock to his tank and noticed a major difference over a few weeks

I went on ahead and ordered some Florida keys rock (KP aquatics) that arrived today. I plan on curing it for a week or two and then adding it to the sump and attached frag tank to give my tank some more beneficial bacteria. I’m also adding in more dr. Tim’s bacteria to the tank during this process. I have an order for some Walt Fiji liverock that I’m awaiting confirmation on.

Has anyone else experience a similar experience with starting a tank on dry rock only ? I’ve tried to make any changes to the tank ahead of time. My lighting schedule was increased to a 7 hour peak photo period with a 2 hour ramp up/down. Added a wavebox to solve some dead spots I was having.

C50DD61E-97A3-4472-A5F2-862DC2C0E7AB.jpeg

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check this out

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find this of relevance:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ome-in-a-new-aquarium-using-live-rock.665936/

Search for 'Aquabiomics' and their related articles if you are interested in some deep dives into the reef aquarium microbiome.

Adding a quality bottled bacteria to a new dry rock established aquarium is a fine idea, but shouldn't be necessary in a system that has been running for many months. True live rock will have a diverse assemblage of the microbes that are essential to our reef systems.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert on beneficial bacteria, and fairly new to reefing.

I have seen Mike P videos and his success and k ow he is knowledgeable.
But I dont know that its possible for the beneficial would die off.
There may be an instance where something kills it somehow.
In any case I am going to follow alon and read the posted articles in the morning.

OP
OP
SpSDrew

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m hoping this liverock is the cure to my corals not growing and their lack of color. I have been feeding the tank heavily with oyster feast, reef roids, amino acids. My phosphates still remain low so there is plenty of active bacteria but possibly not a wide variety.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back