LaCl Dosing Reactor (No Socks!)

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Lanthanum Chloride in the past, but I was always concerned about effective removal of the precipitate from my system. The common way is to drip the diluted LaCl into a filter sock to catch the precipitated LaCl. My frag tank had PO4 readings exceeding the Hanna ULR range (0.60+ ppm) after a series of vacation mishaps this past winter, so I decided to use LaCl to pull it down to around 0.1 ppm, and I wanted an easy way of dealing with the precipitate in the easiest way possible. I tend to be a bit lazy sometimes. If it was not easy, then I would not want to do it.

What started me down this path was that I had just finished replacing the filter media on my pool filter (on my pool). I had installed a MultiCyclone pre-filter and switched the sand filter over to Glass Pearls media. The reason I added the MultiCyclone was that I had been thinking about using it on my big tank build and wanted to test it in the real world. It works great, but that is for another thread, what caught my attention was the glass media that I switched my sand filter to. It is called Glass Pearls and filters down to 3 microns. Hmm, that would be enough to catch the precipitate from LaCl, I thought. Now if only I had a sand filter for my aquarium that I could use the glass beads with.

I looked around, but did not see any commercial units small enough to be used on a tank. I did a test using a 53 micron stackable sieve stuck on the end of a 4" length of pipe. The test was a success by all accounts. The glass beads did eventually clog up and the water level rose to the point where it would overflow the pipe. When I back flushed the filter media, the water was white and milky. Perfect, it was catching the LaCl as expected. But I was going to need a way to force the reacted water through the media as gravity was not doing it for me. The test sieve would overflow far too easy depending on the flow, even without LaCl being added.

What I settled on using was RODI 10" x 2.5" refillable canisters. I figured I could use an empty one as the reaction chamber for the flow through the reactor to react with the LaCl that would be added just before the chamber, and a second one to hold the glass media to catch the precipitate.

My first mock up of the reactor design used the translucent poly canisters that are used for DI resin. It worked, but the filter material at both ends, that is similar to what filter socks are made of, clogged way too fast. I need to be able to run the system for at least 24 hours before being cleaned, and these canisters would need cleaning after only a few hours due to the small surface area of the filter material and the fact it was filtering! These poly canisters would never work for this.

So I started looking for a refillable canister that did not have any filter paper on the feed and drain. Way back when I bought my RODI from BRS, they had included a canister for GAC made from polycarbonate that had a closely spaced grill on the feed and drain. That would be perfect. I was not sure if I had it still or where it was, but after a bit of searching, I dug it out of storage above the garage. The glass beads are 0.4 - 0.6 mm, and the grill spacing on the polycarbonate canister seems to hold the glass beads fine.

Now that I had a canister that would work as the filter, I decided to design a method of flushing the media without taking the canister out. I knew if I had to take the canister out during use, it was going to be messy, and I would not want to do it, so it would be too much of a PITA for me to use, and therefore I would not use it. I knew that I would need the means of isolating the media canister, a feed from the house water, and a drain to flush the now freed precipitate.

Part of the challenge in designing the reactor, was that the space this thing was going to take up was huge. Just piping the 2 canisters together with all the needed valves and tees for feeds and drains was going to be approaching 5 or 6 feet long! As well, because I expected to need to be able to flush the media mid cycle, I would have to use tank water to push the flush water, which is untreated tap water, out of the media and down the drain. This would require guesstimating how long to drain the media after restarting the feed pump, before reenabling the normal return to the tank. Every flush cycle would result in the loss of some tank water that would need to be replaced. There had to be a better way.

What I came up with was a design that folds the reactor back onto itself. Rather than being 5 or 6 feet long, it would only be 2 - 2.5 feet long and the media chamber would be upside down and would be drainable without using tank water to push the untreated water out the drain. This would solve the space requirements and make it easier to use. I settled on a design that has an input ball valve, a flush water valve, a drain valve, then the media reactor, followed by a drain valve, a venting valve and then an output ball valve. By setting the various valves, I can start it up, use it to slowly add the LaCl over several hours (or days) and then stop the feed pump(s), drain the tank water in the media canister back to the tank, flush the media using tap water, drain the tap water, and then restart the reactor pumps to continue the LaCl treatment. Down the road I plan on looking to 3D print some actuators for the valves to allow the flushing sequence to be automated. I don't have a 3D printer yet, and I have a long list of things to print, so automating the reactor may not happen for awhile.

The last challenge was how to support or mount the reactor. After considering various low tech means, I decided to re-task some of my off cut aluminum extrusions. It is a bit overkill, but It is SOLID and moveable.

This would be better with photos ...

SU7N1ohKwKCy30anJ4ZLrJiQC7Z2TzrUmfpgfTXDS2NJ0tFaA_J360TjS-qGrt9mxbsNktw4tduACpoa2jDPjeKwG_Uf4DEPtO64Ahw14yD-Y4HhXEVX9gtzQ_Aqm5g0-X2lz7DIjXE525oEsTz0j4gzWPlW9jnPYsYa2Vdvx29iqqKcNbIV7lJMhSia0Z6htrg2cswjlZcSuGkb6aP3fDimWYIukWrtckVrPTs54GF5RkUQyehnkHzjPSf6WrF9LEd8DRFvoHGJfpCBTTdkUvIhALquEhfE850UQ8wdA6zZTLUHIpuZmVhOiQmxEj1Ya-kZd6VyJ7ZdnvVTKsT1jSzs1-wCVuxuzG9fQI6oEGup1yFG0SlGLSWsaGe0u07SqmA5VjV5cWO3yFT1C3Tc7skDBnn4r0nKw_H3YfJ-qEcWZIhOd_l9xnPSdQZLNkt93YV6m5WbNnd54hbRKYMNVxcI-dv4HmmeyXlbFZ5P9ho8FdXn8FKV6CPoAB8d41Kpu0LAsjfwjBGuzEX99T-S9KJ45RgeWuicKCKP4E-oD5_g3HzXMEZzz-k1Pc19AB7dCqtAaxEzPws-4LOkkT90o_FT1j61XK7zgf6qpa9hZ6tdEGDtH0KbxKgFJRCuFsbBzOXOuR2GYpaEmZ0Yiv1JyUObCxP95LeOnS-CHYGeaukqqBlnNg5iZQyNMJDYssnUy1rp0h4MWQ7ofsID4yfSQy0A=w3222-h2416-no

pT0Adftnc8Rgt-G-e84iJC-zu8efL9pGSlJsv6C9Sswy9Hnv-3uai95bMk78zDby5CIH-Mubm2bDvxggfBlctxt1xkwTheMqw5K_dGWyCPdWSFm-YjYNQQ-TMhSr9JlqkaDDjP7K-sCvPDaALNUHPd6oF7sL1xfSSoNUuEgwPSeT-3OLgbziHANR1L8FFdGaGVe6ZqvAo0trUsU6J9F5h4AG2U0kaX_FiKmi71XjawapBoLyUG4pcqlH47q9p6TeS9u-a2lWfCDT-e9ptJXQpnIZUtF7s_1a-HtKaarY1KnqxpoABL29_tEGFPPhQVHYj73YG86OQ1dx51j3mPapvck4vqEkzDkWEPTqkkXqxoMdwq_iV1EuNODSCoTIJoOHQuhJV0myBET7bpp-eMFOygaTcteVMcT4MDioXunSTIdM7YvnZc3ab8AE05_nKf_mJNM1jJ_tt_dGgoj3kAXwq9-_PuIy_A5HmQFLFfIhgyD_O19Z2FMUJqtyDmYzr9b_CeDIB-QVFYL495GpmK7Hg4GIDvY524lidbtmXxhxOA22dZM5ydbX8u5A8KPO0zgwE29AvB_2Ga27Fh26vnkI6WVfW-DTTbrcOoGRwuJA_6j9cYTqkkHKU6Xzw48N7NIf6IqXiH7EiPUj5lCbTWzNCf5hE4-mdUIBSw6UQA6oGlhMBGXG6mzVEUqFtq2l1SjjyrU2mkgucsnfkmLh8bT3CJO9=w3222-h2416-no

vketsbVXYrO1wrX7xQQysXx9cxAsz73kp9YNO8MA-UytuEn_tcphCSDemTBwMZBYOxXH_61TJQu_ZDLIKB-kbX7I_8F-6S1vG3xLBWfg4yBwCy_g_91qj8rN0tgnn5nF_Bu6FoKnosIRSNTBt0xiTUhGO2LKbevVUbLZ2xF9q2K8gfYiOOauXbXMomagxq37qjqTEJP3OBvEhY83S2jadeak6NuSeb4DacZ-jpYb0nXsJxeUJQCbi7rj373HZxCudP9JMEpJhCzSkAafwynjpAa4Pq-AiNhTVV3y5EQxo2QBZgitaHuQafGZg0C6nuvLbdv2jB55q42afr6Vl3lHI1Kk4A9yu5Ub-SV1qZN7AP9fSjlfX8z-2k3IlsnD_oAs8LcRRB66bDBnIEdLT67MM0ELueLUdqjIoIrWCqbx5jRie7FSjmMmzKgNElLdvk3NBbMS_rKegiln8v3pUlay8VbIAxMTPycefU66oFFrJnalYvB6twAuHOAGQBhcbZb9ESqqEDMr-FqLruk8mikkSiDGwdRNi0jUszZC3PCe94p5rMQYkVv5yZB7xDjSpgg0MgOYUt8nojeGracQa9pSZ4bqqCAbWvPPBuoqpZqzAaCTPWkW15AdMPRN_aG6l_Z7Ll9S48UH8u4grrcQCX60Z_Xw_i_E7BZxLt-yoPUfTM2uzrAylKRWq16fM3naSsAwCGyosOMFtkHwvVsT4M7XTpRh=w3222-h2416-no

More photos to come (3 seems to be the limit).

Dennis

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, now that is full on! Why not just use a high pressure pump with some RO sediment filters progressively smaller size? I know they at least have 50 micron size (which is washable and reusable) and then drop to a 20 and then 1 or 5, will that not work?

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, lets see if a diagram helps ... obviously graphics are not my forte.

E1HhCKhaPaQEtEu7avzVBCUB-Ei6yqKENm0UH0GdoC_SXf8vZXmKHlMrmjCg7jTo0p6YwjVl99xJtxsrXphHl5gWLxG5bU-YA87p8UboxdaUoWCLy0VBKDIDDoLR0kg5oKZg2whuHVlKwRnIT671nL1oYpKd8yxrYXjF798pwaDFLVf8wsvCIOkw0TiLmZj_0FrFJhhPyUzEtna2gEBO9F808FjEvdYBd0Mb3O5-3l-MsfNMnzA3YLuiiBZUQ-o5C_1CNqOtMyvCqWBX5Q8cwOE2ZlMcz9Ri4V-JfOe7T8ifkADqQhFpEQV2Czut_yu2Gt_iygV-1sc_ZfdT36d634bOulhBL9sAQeFDtmQCsR6YZ5lmcSRp6EoWLl_6xKdB2Dnn2iQo6AnAiYkZfEur0AJZ6_jvjC1omlrUzGvzBfmFArq0XYoXAlJ2pGT0d9V9-n3GXt0IyYl79GLS5Ojn6gglSjN89VC0XnumcM-7bbTYCBeobruTnqbHHRfkJ_7DGoh9kyplQc7ERqinyjOivI9G0CZUFD3CrUqtD5w7bELhPZj9qKsGHjR7XAQA12IqDIFJhINyAATmC6RDdF55kZIrUqKoNTYGPod4LMEU7VlJt7k7WYNlSdlyuUBjyNI1FoG9TS99FyA164z0CmcauTgPuhg1dbAuyOTYs-p2ChhOHgl4soNQ7kA6YEAgL-e2WqCicfouusmUcuM6j7AbIcNc=w3092-h2318-no

The yellow line is the feed water from pump in sump. The 1/4" check valve is fed from a 2 RPM Masterflex dosing head. The red line is water with the LaCl present, but not yet removed. The green line is water that has been reacted and hopefully has all LaCl removed.

The 4" drainage tee, where the drain flows through, is planned to have a float valve that will signal when then flow through the reactor has dropped to a point where the bottom controllable drain is able to drain the flow without triggering the float and signals it needs to be flushed. This will be used for automating the flush cycle.

For 'normal' operation, all valve handles are horizontal. As the reactor is placed into the differing modes for the flush states, various valve handles get toggled to vertical.

The pipe above the vent has a check valve to prevent accidently leaving the vent open and starting the pump. I did that already by accident before the addition of the check valve, wow, what a mess.

Hopefully the diagram helps, but I am thinking it might confuse more than help.

Dennis

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, now that is full on! Why not just use a high pressure pump with some RO sediment filters progressively smaller size? I know they at least have 50 micron size (which is washable and reusable) and then drop to a 20 and then 1 or 5, will that not work?

That might work, but my objective was for something that can be cleaned without disassembling anything and is completely reusable. I expect I will lose a bit of the glass bead media over time, but I purchased a 44 lbs bag, so I have plenty of refills.

Dennis

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue to use the LaCi reactor to deal with the high P levels in my frag tank. When I started using it, the Hanna was over 200 ppb which would fail to provide a reading due to being out of range. After the latest cycle, the reading was 62 ppb. I just tested again now, a couple days after the end of the cycle, and the reading was 72 ppb. This has been the (expected) pattern. I perform a cycle to drop the P by 32 ppb, and the P rebounds by about 10 ppb after more P is released from the rocks/surfaces.

Here is a video of the media being flushed.

Dennis

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting an update. I continue to use my reactor to remove PO4. Initially I had some issues where it did not seem to have as big of an impact on the phosphate level as I was expecting. I think this was caused by how I was using it, and had it configured. What I noticed was that the PO4 level was still reading higher than I had calculated it should, based on the amount of LaCl dosed. I also had some bad reactions from some corals. What I think was occurring is that some of the reacted LaCl particles were making it through the glass bead filter and were skewing the readings on my Hanna. Causing me to redo the treatment, and driving my PO4 too low.

The solution was to increase the depth of the glass bead media to 80% of the cartridge insert from the 50% I had been using. I can't use 100% as I need room for the backwash to occur. I also doubled the strength of the diluted LaCl mixture. I now use 2 ml / 5 L of rodi instead of 1 ml / 5 L. This allows me to run the reactor for a much shorter period of time. Previously I was running it for 2+ days straight to dose all 5L, but now I just run it for 4 hours and then flush it and shut it down. The more concentrated dose and shorter duration operation appears to work much better and prevents the reacted particles from getting pushed into the water column.

I also noticed that BRS still sells the cartridge insert that I use. They call it a hard case refillable cartridge. I use one of those sans sponges to hold the glass beads. Incase anyone tries to build one of these.

Dennis

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I don't fully understand this. I am unsure of why I would need one...BUT, I WANT ONE! LOL!

(Gear head)

Lol, if you struggle with high phospates and laziness, then this type of reactor helps with both. It makes it easy to remove phosphate and because it is easy, I am able to overcome my laziness and do it! :p

You just need to becareful to not pull phospahtes down too fast in tanks that have been ran at high phosphates for long periods of time.

As of this morning, my phosphates are 50% lower than they were about a month ago. So now I need to slow down and let the corals catch up with the new reality.

Dennis

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using sprinkler risers to connect the reactors to pvc? Are they 1/2” or 3/4”?

I couldn’t tell from the photos.
Nice job btw

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a nice build, but is this because you don't think filter socks were able to capture the precipitates?

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using sprinkler risers to connect the reactors to pvc? Are they 1/2” or 3/4”?

I couldn’t tell from the photos.
Nice job btw

The reactors are connected with 3/4" stubby risers. The waste drains and backflush feed are connected with 1/2" risers. Most of the plumbing is 3/4". The reactors I am using are usually called whole house canisters and these ones have no pressure release button. The pressure release versions always use metal in the mechanism.

Thanks. I am thinking about a new version, or some more mods. I recently removed the 4" tee fitting that was attached to the leg and instead routed the drain through 2 canisters attached to the back of the unit holding a 10 micron pleated filter and a 5 micron pleated filter. This works pretty well, but I am thinking of redoing it to allow inplace back flushing of each pleated filter using 3 way ball valves. Using the same 3 way ball valves, I expect I can remove a lot of the inline valves and simplify and shorten the plumbing.

Dennis

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactors are connected with 3/4" stubby risers. The waste drains and backflush feed are connected with 1/2" risers. Most of the plumbing is 3/4". The reactors I am using are usually called whole house canisters and these ones have no pressure release button. The pressure release versions always use metal in the mechanism.

Thanks. I am thinking about a new version, or some more mods. I recently removed the 4" tee fitting that was attached to the leg and instead routed the drain through 2 canisters attached to the back of the unit holding a 10 micron pleated filter and a 5 micron pleated filter. This works pretty well, but I am thinking of redoing it to allow inplace back flushing of each pleated filter using 3 way ball valves. Using the same 3 way ball valves, I expect I can remove a lot of the inline valves and simplify and shorten the plumbing.

Dennis

that is where I was confused I didnt know BRS (or anyone) sold a reactor with 3/4” inlet/outlets

i have some unused ones that are the 1/2”, I assume those would still work?

i like the idea of this as an as-needed polishing filter, even if LC isnt being used.I like the reusable/backflush capabilities it reminds me of a sand filter or a bubble bead filter

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a nice build, but is this because you don't think filter socks were able to capture the precipitates?

No, my concern with using filter socks is that they require cleaning after use and I am just too lazy :rolleyes:

As I mentioned in my last post, I have added a 10 micron and 5 micron filter stage as insurance. While the filter is being used, the glass bead portion slowly discolours as the beads slowly collect the particulate.

Dennis

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is where I was confused I didnt know BRS (or anyone) sold a reactor with 3/4” inlet/outlets

i have some unused ones that are the 1/2”, I assume those would still work?

i like the idea of this as an as-needed polishing filter, even if LC isnt being used.I like the reusable/backflush capabilities it reminds me of a sand filter or a bubble bead filter

The ones I use are from Max-Waterflow, but you can probably find them elsewhere (just get ones with no pressure release).

Yup, 1/2" ones should work fine. Just make sure they are standard canister filers. I have some 3/4" water filter ones here that look like the standard ones, but they are a tiny bit shorter internally and squash the pleated filters if you tighten them fully. I think they are the RainFresh brand.

Yes, when I got the idea for it, I was swapping the media in my pool sand filter for the glass beads. It occured to me that it would be useful for my tank.

Dennis

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back