Lagoon 25 plans

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased everything I need -I think- for a IM lagoon 25. The goal is to have a good system to grow out my soft and lps frags. I will move all the random frags out of my main tank and expect to cover almost the entire sand bed with frags. And ditch the biocube 14.

In addition to the tank, I'll have :
Radion xr15 pro
Media basket on one side, running chaeto on top, then purigen and chemipure elite
Sicce 260 gph return (50 more than stock)
No extra powerhead
No hermits and 3 fish.
There will be a sandbed
Live Rock that will cover about 1/3 the bottom.

Basically the question is, is no skimmer the right thing to do to get better growth of the softies and lps (mostly acans) with a nutrient richer environment? skip the chaeto or sand? Looking for any input!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the his coming together!

OP
OP
tangerine3486

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170320_163322770.jpg

OP
OP
tangerine3486

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its real, but I did not get any feedback for the original questions. To sum it up:

I'm setting this up to replace the biocube 14, and it will serve as a coral growing / frag tank or whatever you want to call it. It will have live rock, a light fish bioload and NO SPS. The questions: Sandbed or no sandbed? Do I skim or will that keep me from a nutrient rich environment that I hear softies like? Don't bother with Chaeto or Chemipure for the same reason? Any feedback will be great!

OP
OP
tangerine3486

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is not necessary unless your bio load is high which it sounds like it won't be. The one potential issue I can see is only relying on your return pump for water movement, even with the upgraded pump there won't be significant flow coming from the return outlets. I suspect that you will have significant dead spots, I am running an mp10 at 100% on mine and I am wanting another powerhead, granted that is for sps and it has live rock blocking some flow. If you do just use the return pump I would recommend spin stream nozzles to break up the flow pattern. If it is for a frag tank I would say no sandbed, it will be easier to maintain and less algae problems!

OP
OP
tangerine3486

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I added the sand two days ago. However I looked at those spin stream nozzles and they look awesome. I will be investing in those!

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people report them being loud when you first install them but they should get quiet once they break in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back